727 Floor Shift Conversion Help

-

matsucu06

Reaction score
Working on converting my brother's 68 Barracuda from a B&M Pro Stick cable shifter to a stock mechanical floor shift unit. Can't figure out the bracket and linkage on the trans side.

The car has a 318 and 727 trans and after further investigation, it looks like the trans if from a 75 truck (PK3736147 4416 6726). Anyone know if a 727 from a truck has different housing mounts or is different than a std A-body?

If mounted in the stock location, the pivot rod should drop down just in front of the speedo cable, but can't figure out where or how to mount a pivot bracket...

Attachments

• Trans Pic2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 843
Late modle 727 tail housings dont have the two loop bracket cast onto the bottom of the housing for the shift sopport bracket to bolt to.
You will need to locate a early housing and change it out to mount support bracket for the bottom of the shifter shaft.

Lon ;

they have the bracket in the Band M shifter kit whatch out for the exhaust i burned 1 cable i switched to the b and M cable then the bracket bolts up to the tranny pan bolts then its touchy adjusting i had to modify my shift cable arm but that was in a 65 barracuda g/l with your build i have a kick down cable if you need 1

punch up the kit you will see the mount bracket if cant get figgured i can jack up car and take a set of pics wish i had a better cam

Late modle 727 tail housings dont have the two loop bracket cast onto the bottom of the housing for the shift sopport bracket to bolt to.
You will need to locate a early housing and change it out to mount support bracket for the bottom of the shifter shaft.

Lon ;

Thanks. Was afraid of that.. Almost easier, although more costly, to replace the entire trans... Maybe will try to fabrcate a bracket and attach from the mounting tab.

they have the bracket in the Band M shifter kit whatch out for the exhaust i burned 1 cable i switched to the b and M cable then the bracket bolts up to the tranny pan bolts then its touchy adjusting i had to modify my shift cable arm but that was in a 65 barracuda g/l with your build i have a kick down cable if you need 1

punch up the kit you will see the mount bracket if cant get figgured i can jack up car and take a set of pics wish i had a better cam

Actually replacing the B&M Cable shifter and going to a mechanical unit...

You can change the tail housing in the car - and fairly easy....drop the driveshaft, remove the speedo cable, take off the plate with two large screws, remove the bolts that hold on the tailshaft housing (5 I think?), spread the retaining ring under the plate you removed and the housing slides off. Watch for the fluid! If you post on here you should be able to find a tail housing for a fair price. I have one in western Canada I could throw in the mail... This is a great time to tweak the governor (located on the trans output shaft) if you are not happy with the shift points.

And yes, the cast lugs on the trans started to dissapear by the early to mid 70's

That trans has a 68 and earlier one wire neutral safety switch. If it is a 70's trans it has the wrong switch in it, you cannot intermix the switches as the "rooster comb" on the valve body which actuates the switch changed when the switch changed in late 68 or 69 to the three pin neutral safety / back up light switch.

You can change the tail housing in the car - and fairly easy....drop the driveshaft, remove the speedo cable, take off the plate with two large screws, remove the bolts that hold on the tailshaft housing (5 I think?), spread the retaining ring under the plate you removed and the housing slides off. Watch for the fluid! If you post on here you should be able to find a tail housing for a fair price. I have one in western Canada I could throw in the mail... This is a great time to tweak the governor (located on the trans output shaft) if you are not happy with the shift points.

And yes, the cast lugs on the trans started to dissapear by the early to mid 70's

Thanks. Okay, if tail housing can be replaced w/trans in car, might try to replace. Will look for one locally first and if can't find one will pm you...

Ok, let me know. you will need a new gasket for the housing - and perhaps a new output seal. You may be able to buy the two individually from a Chrysler dealer, or buy a whole gasket kit but personally I would go to a trans rebuild shop, they will most likely have some partial gasket rebuild kits and probably give you the gasket. I may have one here as well

Okay, there's a local trans shop that has the tail shaft housing for $45 and can pick-up. Got a housing gasket from Ebay for $7...

Finally got the old housing off, but took a while. This trans had the split ring window on the side of the housing and of course, it was aligned with the trans tunnel mounting frame. So, even dropping the trans tail as low as possible, there was not direct access to the split ring. Ended up having to buy another split ring pliers (Didn't want to bend my Craftsman pliers) and bending it in an angle to reach the split ring! After several hours and a few curse words, finally got it off...

Had never taken a tail shaft housing off, so thanks for your step by step instructions!!

make sure you set the snap ring on the bearing went you put it back together..

Okay, tail housing in the first pic, on the top, is the new unit with floor shifter pivot bracket mounting 2-hole tab. Bottom unit in the second pic shows the retaining ring window on the (Passenger) side, vs. bottom, which was butted up against the trans tunnel mounting frame. Not sure why Mopar relocated this unless there was leaking problems with access window on the bottom...

Attachments

• 2013-02-14_20-19-55_568.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 625
  • 2013-02-14_20-23-13_71.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 510
Yes, I have seen both styles, I haven't seen them leak from that cover plate though. good luck with the install. The new one has the better output seal - the factory style with the large dust boot. Have a look at the output bushing in the new one to ensure it is not junk, maybe try both of them on your slip yoke and be sure that the new one isn't completely sloppy and worn out or you may have vibrations and leaks. Also as was mentioned above - look at the snap ring and make sure you have it in the right location for assembly, I cant remember if it is left on the shaft, bearing or in the housing prior to assembly. Just have a look at it and be sure the bearing is able to seat all the way, you will figure it out.

Yes, I have seen both styles, I haven't seen them leak from that cover plate though. good luck with the install. The new one has the better output seal - the factory style with the large dust boot. Have a look at the output bushing in the new one to ensure it is not junk, maybe try both of them on your slip yoke and be sure that the new one isn't completely sloppy and worn out or you may have vibrations and leaks. Also as was mentioned above - look at the snap ring and make sure you have it in the right location for assembly, I cant remember if it is left on the shaft, bearing or in the housing prior to assembly. Just have a look at it and be sure the bearing is able to seat all the way, you will figure it out.

Not too worried about the output bushing right now. Trying to get shifter installed before I pull the motor and trans. Replacing 318 with a newly built 340 and 8 3/4 rear end. Will check the trans once I remove. The snap ring stays in the housing and with the bottom access, was fairly easy to expand and manipulate over the bearing to install...

Thanks for all the help and can't say enough about the knowledgeable members on this FABO Site. You guys are the best!!

Attachments

• 2013-02-17_12-07-13_838.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 457
I tried putting the later 727 in an 1968 barracuda and it seems like the side access plate on the tail shaft is hitting the floor tunnel. Should i hammer the tunnel to make room so the 727 doesn't hit. Did anyone encounter this when putting a trunk 727 in an abody?

I tried putting the later 727 in an 1968 barracuda and it seems like the side access plate on the tail shaft is hitting the floor tunnel. Should i hammer the tunnel to make room so the 727 doesn't hit. Did anyone encounter this when putting a trunk 727 in an abody?

Long ago I put a later 727 from a Tradesman 200 van under our first 67 fish.
I recall needing to hammer tweak the floor pan somewhere but really don't recall exactly where. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

-
Back