727 front pump/bushing help

-

joeboy

Reaction score
I need some help from you transmission guys, as I have never jumped into a auto trans before.

I have a 727 with about 1500 miles on it. It was rebuilt quite a bit (years) before I fired up the car. When I fired the car last year I had a very small front seal leak, it has gotten worse so I pulled the trans to replace the seal. In the process of pulling the seal with a cheapy puller I got from a local parts store, the seal puller broke and the recoil put a scratch in the torque converter hub bushing.

I am planning to repair this myself to save cash as I see a OD in my future.

My question is this, can I pull the front pump without removing the pan/valve body or disrupting
the input shafts? The only videos I have found online of a 727 rebuilt show the pump coming out after the tailshaft and valvebody removed...

I was gonna pick up the front seal, bushing, and pump gaskets... What else do I need or should I plan for in this process. I have a friend with trans and bushing tools who has built some Chevy trans but no mopar experience.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 330
Stand it up on the tail end (not sitting on the output shaft) and the pump will pull right out without doing anything else.
Split the pump knock the bushing out and the new one and seal both in with red locktite. (Pack the back side of the new seal with Vaseline) because it keeps the tension spring in place when pounding it in.

Put the pump gears back in facing the way they came out, then Vaseline them well to hold them in place till the converter goes back in, and put the pump halves back together making sure the inner gear of the pump is centered in the opening for the converter snout. (I'm talking a good tablespoon in there)
That also helps the pump prime on the first fireup.
Lube the opening where the rubber seal around the outside of the pump rides in the case, use a new paper pump to case gasket and drop her in. (The rubber sealing ring around the pump housing should be ok)

Done deal.

Oh, and of course be sure the pump is clean and the passages blown out while it's apart. :D

Thanks! That's what I was hoping.

Just to be clear, red locktite goes on the back of the bushing and the seal edge before I drive them in? Or the pump bolts? Thanks for the Vaseline tips.

I usually spray paper seals with copperkote or something like that for a good seal, should I plan on that or just install it dry?

Is there a torque spec for the pump, or just be careful with the alum?

Thanks again,

Joe

No sealer on the gasket. It has a pretty easy job. When you put the pump assy back in, use some kind of line-up pins to center it, as you cannot turn it once its down. Dont snag the rings on anything. Make sure the thrust washer stays in place. I use a silicon rubber lube in that big bore, and on the Big O-ring.This will allow the assy to almost drop into place with just a few taps of the hammer-handle.

Thanks for the tips too AJ, between you and trailbeast I'm feeling a bit more confident... Now I just need my two little ones to nap long enough sometime this week to tinker!!

Joe

Thats TrailBeast, to you, joeboy! Capital T, Capital B! lol. I'm in a wierd mood today. But I'm sure having capital f,Fun!
FWIW
If that scratch was in my tranny, I'd cut off the edges with a sharp tool, and leave it be. But thats just how I roll.

Thats TrailBeast, to you, joeboy! Capital T, Capital B! lol. I'm in a wierd mood today. But I'm sure having capital f,Fun!
FWIW
If that scratch was in my tranny, I'd cut off the edges with a sharp tool, and leave it be. But thats just how I roll.

Shoot, that was my first thought when I did it.... I just don't wanna pull it again if I don't have to, so that's why I was gonna swap it. You really think it won't cause trouble.

FWIW

So would I, but I didn't want to give someone else that advice.
Really it would depend where on the bushing the converter hub is pushed against by the pump when running.
It really only puts any real pressure on about 1/3 of the bushing, but it could have weakened the crush pressure of the bushing OD holding it in the pump.

Oh well, better to fix it right, once. :)

-
Back