727 rebuild price

-

MTmopars

Reaction score
So, what is a fair price for a 727 performance rebuild? I have a 727 non lockup from a 78 New Yorker w/440. I pulled everything and my a nearby dodge dealer said they could do it. Take it to them and a few weeks later they call with concern about price to rebuild. They figured $2000, with over $700 in labor. Umm... No. Called a tranny shop 200miles away and was quoted 900, 1600 with a precision inc converter. I don't need a crazy converter, all the companies I mailed requested off the shelf 10" 2500 rpm.

I wouldn't mind trying to do it myself, but I have never cracked one open.

My shop quoted me $700.00 plus converter. But after reading these posts I think I might do it myself.

I am contemplating it. My buddy and I built the 440. Problem is none of us have touched a tranny.

Rebuild it yourself. If you rebuilt an engine you can do an trans. Just use the chassis manual with the exploded view diagrams. I bought a seal and gasket kit for my 727 it was 70 dollars, and I went over it myself.

If you've built the engine, chances are you can do the trans. There are some tools you might need, but you can probably rent them from somewhere.
You say you're looking for a performance unit. Here's where it could get sticky. There are some really good performance parts out there like hardened input shafts, steel front drums, aftermarket planetaries, hardened sun shell and sun gear, but they don't come cheap. Reliable performance costs money. However, if you don't have huge horsepower, I might suggest:
Master overhaul kit with Alto friction plates. You can also use the high energy frictions from the A518 in both locations, might be a little cheaper than the Alto kit. Replace the steel plates in all cases. The high engergy front band as used in the A518 transmission (it's a flex band, but a good one), a rear band, a bushing kit (if nothing else, make sure you change the pump bushing), a washer kit, the spring and roller kit for the rear sprag, a brass filter, an intermediate servo piston (Superior makes one), heavy duty band strut, reverse servo piston (Sonnax), and a quality shift kit (Transgo TF-2 is the best one). There's a bearing in the extension housing, check it out closely. Look at the pump gears and replace if they look worn.
Take your time, look at the video, clean everything spotless and you should be good to go.
If you're thinking about the hard core performance stuff, check out this company: www.tcsproducts.com . They make all their own stuff and supply it to others.

easier to build than an engine!

Agreed. Heck when I was 17 I rebuilt the 727 in my 66 Chrysler and it worked great. I had only been working on cars barely a year. That tells you that their not hard to do.

BTW: that Dodge dealer is out of his freakin mind. $700 for labor only???? Crazy!

The local shop where I worked will build you one that will take 1000 plus HP if you throw 1200 bucks at him. Including converter. You can estimate lesser jobs.

would that 727 dvd work the same for a 904?

it only covers the 727,...but they are basically the same inside except the 904 is smaller...

get a factory service manual for the specifics on a 904.....or a ATSG manual which covers the 727/904 also...

Cracked back : easier to build than an engine!
THIS!¡!!!!! .How you learn. Buy a ATRA manual,take your time . If it's in your handsyou actually know. Ask lot's of questions. Did T.H 350's/400's. Saved coin

depending on what part of Montana ur in I would go see rick at louies automotive in Spokane wa he is the owner and does awesome work and good on price if u don't do it ur self and yes I have seen his work and he is honest no bull!!!

I'm closer to Minneapolis than Spokane. Ad this is a pretty mild 440. Template posted 902 heads, voodoo 60304 cam, 9.3:1 compression, ch4b intake. I'm guessing about 450hp at the crank. I'd like 5clutch pack, a shift kit, and forward auto/manual shifting. I don't think this would break the bank.

Yeah, called my parts house today and had them order a B&M kit. Going to order that DVD and a manual. Hope this works! Lol

make sure its a full kit! Which includes the all the thrust washers, bands, seals ect ect. Also you will want some a bag of select size washers to adjust endplay. I did my first one some time ago and just got to test it and so far so good! Now is the time to add goodies if you want. Like bolt in sprag, shift kit.

Full rebuild kit, plus thrust washers and bushings. Parts guy is a mopar man who has rebuilt a number of 727.

No turning back now...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 591
Thanks guys. My buddy who helped me build the 440 is going to help with this too. it is a first for both of us.

B&M kit 10229
ATP thrust washers etc
Big End 2400-2700 convertor.

-
Back