727 Shifter Linkage Help

-

67ragtop

Reaction score
I am trying to hook up my floor shift (727) to my 340 in my '67 Barracuda. The torque shaft assembly(727) mounts to the bracket on the tranny. I don't have any holes to mount the bracket into the tranny. Does this mean I can only run a cable system? Is there a factory linkage to run a 727 to a 340 in a abody?

you can find another tail shaft with the bracket on it or...run a aftemarket cable shifter...

I'm lost at "torque shaft assembly". There is a linkage shaft that drops through a hole in the floor. It is supported at top. All it needs at the bottom is something with a hole for it to go through. The original had a plastic bushing to prevent a metal to metal noise but a piece of fuel hose forced onto the shaft works with a larger hole for it. There are bolts and or unused bolt holes there to work off of. I had to create my first one. Imagination and materials is all you need. Only tip is dont over do it. Engine torque or broke motor support can change your gears if there is no wiggle room.

Can I run the aftermarket cable shifter with my stock shifter or do I have to go with a aftermarket shifter. RedFISH, I called it a torque shaft assembly because that is how it was referred to in my mopar manual and I did not know how else to explain it. Plus I recently used the wrong terminology in another post and it lead to more problems. Thanks for all your help guys.

Thats cool, I have 'thingamajiggy" posts too LOL
I dont know of a way to attach a cable to a stock shifter but I do know those cables have a outer housing that will need attached somewhere too.

There should be two bolt holes on the passenger side of the tail shaft. They are about 3 or 4 inches apart. The bracket bolts onto the shaft and goes underneath, sticking out the drivers side about 3 inches. The bracket has the hole that accepts the verticle piece.

Not all tailshafts had the holes to mount the bracket needed to support the lower end of the torqueshaft. You need to swap your tailshaft for one that has the 2 support bolt holes or find a cable that will work with the stock shifter but I think it might be hard to find a cable system to work with a stock shifter. I haven't seen any offered but that don't mean there aren't. Changing the tailshaft in the car isn't hard. Probably easier to do that than make a shifter cable for an aftermarket cable work right.

My 904 tranny has the holes but of course that is not the one I used. If anyone has ideas for a after market cable let me know. Otherwise I'll start the hunt for a new tailshaft.

-
Back