727 shifts into 2nd and reverse at same time

-

L8asusul

Reaction score
I had a 904 trans in my car that slipped badly and had the B&M kit in it and I hated it. Found a 727 on Craigslist out of a 76 van. Guy said something about reverse going out. I assumed he meant it slipped. Had it rebuilt and put it in my car. Drove around the block. Seemed fine. I turned on to a long street and punched it from first. Trans shifted into 2nd and then a second later the tires locked up and it felt like the car wanted to back up. It released, went about 20 feet and did it again. Babied it home with it doing this every 50 feet or so. Checked under the hood and found the kick down lever had fallen off and was in the far back position. I had forgotten to put the spring on it that held it on. Went for another test drive, slowly. Sure enough, same thing. runs fine in first but 2nd and 3rd is torture. Luckily the shop is less than a mile from house. Drove it over in first. They pulled the trans and said it might need a new case but when I picked it up they said they only replaced what looked like sprag or something. Got about half way home and as I was coming up to a light I heard a little growling. Pulled away from light and noise got louder. Drove another 1/8 mile and BANG 2nd and reverse all over again. I have not been able to find any one who has had this experience. Any ideas?

A 727 and the trans guy said "He thinks it might need a new case"?
That's pretty much something you either know it does, or know it doesn't.

Sounds like physical gear train or sprag damage to me.

Thats what mine did when the sprag had torn the case. Been doing any first gear burn outs?

Thats what mine did when the sprag had torn the case. Been doing any first gear burn outs?

So you think the case has damage? I was thinking someone may have pulled the hit reverse at high speed maneuver. Usually happens when fighting with significant other while at speed.

Thanks for the input. The last thing I ever expected to have problems with a trans is it trying to go into two gears at once.

So you think the case has damage? I was thinking someone may have pulled the hit reverse at high speed maneuver. Usually happens when fighting with significant other while at speed.

Thanks for the input. The last thing I ever expected to have problems with a trans is it trying to go into two gears at once.

The sprag probably has spun in the case. It may or may not be repairable with a bolt in replacement. The trans shop should have used one if they suspected an issue with the case, but it may not have looked bad.
The trans will need to come out again, and the sprag checked. If the case still isn't split, a bolt in unit may work but you won't know until its torn apart again.

The sprag probably has spun in the case. It may or may not be repairable with a bolt in replacement. The trans shop should have used one if they suspected an issue with the case, but it may not have looked bad.
The trans will need to come out again, and the sprag checked. If the case still isn't split, a bolt in unit may work but you won't know until its torn apart again.

They might have to order one, or you could have one on hand ahead of time.
It could be put into the new or old case since it's a good idea to have anyway.
Just a thought.

Torqueflite Patty on ebay, has them I believe.

Thanks for all of the valuable information guys. I really appreciate it. Of all the things I expected to have problems with on this car, the transmission was the last thing on the list. You are the best.

-
Back