727 stuck in third

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey all:

I recently purchased a vehicle with a 360/727 combo.

The trans seems to be hung up in third gear. Reverse is fine, and it doesn't try to drive in neutral or park. Manual low or second makes no difference.

The fluid looks very good with no evidence of overheating.

Any ideas what happened to it?

Thanks, Tyler

sounds like valvebody issues there are some good trann guys on here that will help you out for sure i herd of bands breaking but only in extremely cold conditions i bet tho its an easy fix

My guess is a governor problem if it acts like it's in 3rd when you put it in 1st, 2nd, or drive.

It's definitely in another gear besides low. It's not hanging up like the clutches being welded together.

Funny thing is, I had an A518 in a 1993 Ram doing the same thing, so this must be an issue that is peculiar to TF's.

Doesn't look like the pan's been off in years.

My guess is a governor problem if it acts like it's in 3rd when you put it in 1st, 2nd, or drive.

That would be my guess too.

Tyler, you can run a pressure check on the governor output and see what it looks like. The governor pressure test port is the one (1/8" pipe size) located near the speedometer adapter housing on the tailshaft extension housing. Hook a gauge up to it and start the car and put it in gear with your foot on the brakes (drive wheels in the air and on safety stands). It should be zero (or real close) when the wheels aren't moving. If it's more than 1-1/2~2 psi it's a governor problem. If it's less it's a valve body problem.

It's definitely in another gear besides low. It's not hanging up like the clutches being welded together.

Funny thing is, I had an A518 in a 1993 Ram doing the same thing, so this must be an issue that is peculiar to TF's.

Doesn't look like the pan's been off in years.

It happens but not too often from what I've seen.

Unfortunately a lot of people neglect their trans.

It happens but not too often from what I've seen.

Unfortunately a lot of people neglect their trans.

It does sound like welded together direct clutchpack unless I'm just gettin old and wish I knew what I used to.
Bet that second gear band is burn't to hell and they changed the fluid so it looked clean.
The torque converter can dampen what you percieve as hanging up
Wish we could drive it and see.

It does sound like welded together direct clutchpack unless I'm just gettin old and wish I knew what I used to.
Bet that second gear band is burn't to hell and they changed the fluid so it looked clean.
The torque converter can dampen what you percieve as hanging up
Wish we could drive it and see.

I thought about that too but since he said manual low doesn't make a difference I didn't mention it because if the rear band/servo is working it'd bind up and not move at all in manual low if it's stuck in either 2nd or 3rd. But again that's going on the presumption that everything else is working correctly.

Thanks for the input guys.

I have a Youtube account, so in the next couple days I'll make a demonstration video showing what that thing does in each of the gear ranges.

It may not be fixable "over the net" lol...but at least it will be a good case study for various transmission problems.

Update time:

I did make a video, but I felt ti really wasn't much help in the end. I can describe better than what would be shown there. I did make several tests and I'll share my findings:

Park: Works fine, no straining or anything odd.

Reverse: Works fine.

Neutral: it doesn't try to drive or creep in neutral, although I have the vague impression that it doesn't roll totally freely in neutral.

Drive, manual second, manual low: All behave the same as if there is third gear only.No binding.

My impression is that there is immediate, firm clutch application upon selecting drive, then a second later it goes into third. In other words it feels like it's selecting drive low as it should, then whatever is happening, happens.

The fluid looks good and there's no evidence, and I mean NONE, that there is clutch material circulating in the fluid. I did the paper towel test and it looks great.

I took a much better look at the transmission and it looks to me like it's been out and gone through in the last 20,000 miles or so. There's a big difference in the grease level on the engine block and that on the trans.

There's a tailshaft gasket that doesn't look factory and a cork pan gasket that's old enough to crumble when touched, so it's not had a recent fluid dump. The PK number comes back to the right 727 for the application.

My feeling is something broke instead of it burning up. What, i don't know but I guess I am resigned to having to pull it.

I will do the pressure tests, thank you for that info.

Tyler

Howdy! Just got myself a van with an A727 and reconditioned the transmission myself. I am having the same symptoms as TylerW. I know it's been 8 years, but if you get this, could you tell me how you ultimately sorted it out??

Thanks,
Wes

Fixed: It was indeed a governor problem. I had installed the weights backwards in the governor shaft. The weight assembly needed to be installed with the snap ring facing outward.

Cheers,
Wes

8 years...time flies. I didn't know much about these transmissions back then, but in that case it turned out that the third gear clutches had slipped so badly they welded together. That was the second 727 I have had that did the same thing.

-
Back