727 TF in a 1965 Imperial

-

Gabby1959

Reaction score
Upgrading a 1965 Imperial Want to change out the instrument cluster can we run a floor shifter and eliminate the dual cable set up? Rumor mill has this transmission set up to be a pushbutton style but 1965 this wasn’t the case can someone verify these findings for me?

Gabby
OKC

could put a 727/floor column on anything as long as it bolts up. Do the 65 B's have the same silly small snout convertor crank register as the LA's? Looks like 65 may be a column shift cable trans like the push botton but without the actual pushbutton arrangement, same as the 65 A's. Sounds like a doable swap with the popular rod style shift 66-67 B-727 and a floor shifter. 68 was the register change in the 904's

If ur gonna put in a floor shifter I would put a 67 up tranny in it. Does ur have the rear slip yoke? The reason I say 67 up is because the 66 still had the old 19 spline converter.

65, while not push button, still maintained the cable shift setup. It was the last year of cable shift, and the first year of output slip yoke. This is a one year only transmission and is somewhat rare.

You will have a hard time adapting an aftermarket shifter to it, but may be able to use a factory cable shift one which, I believe, would have used both cables.

Last edited:
Above all correct, it is a cable - shift transmission. You'll either have to keep the original shift setup OR get a later complete transmission and linkage. Cable shift case is different from later linkage shift.

I'm not not sure on a 1965 big block 727, but on a 65 "A" body with a 904 they had both a 2 cable column shifter or a 2 cable floor shifter available. The trans was the same with either one. You might be able to use a factory floor shifter for a 1965 "A" body. Someone else will have to verify this would work.
PS: Would probably need the cables for the floor shifter, also. To have the correct length, and end for the shifter.

All correct , 1965 , 727's were cable shift . This can be easily converted to floor by using a shifter from a '65 , '64 , '63 floor shift . You will need the shifter , levers , brackets and cables . Should be a straight forward swap if you have all the parts and download the fsm .

I have a cable shifter & console from a 65 Sport Satellite. It is the 2 cable shifter setup, if you are interested. PM me an email address & I'll get some pictures to you.

I'll get you some pictures tomorrow, I need to go drag it out of storage.

I've got two other places to look, I'm going there later today.

I still get nightmares from dealing with cables, trying to piece together 63,64,65 cable shift A bodies!!!! Never again!!!!

I still get nightmares from dealing with cables, trying to piece together 63,64,65 cable shift A bodies!!!! Never again!!!!
I like them. I actually installed a push button shifter from a 64 Valiant in a console between the bucket seats, in my 66 Cuda.

-
Back