727 transmission deep pan question

-

d55dave

Reaction score
Does anyone run a deep pan off of a late model truck, cherokee or b van transmission on their 727? If so from what make and model and did you make or buy (and buy from where) a filter extension?

I have my 727 finished, back in the car and I am looking for alternatives to buying an expensive aftermarket cast aluminum pan......trying to stick to my budget.

Alternatively if anyone has one for sale let me know.

Thanks!

IMG_20170326_093420.jpg

Well I did the 904 and got it from a Jeep parts site. $55 and came with a extension. Mancini had the stamped steel for the 727 for about $70 and comes with a extension and filter/gasket. I bought one for my truck. Summit and Jegs have them too.

Well I did the 904 and got it from a Jeep parts site. $55 and came with a extension. Mancini had the stamped steel for the 727 for about $70 and comes with a extension and filter/gasket. I bought one for my truck. Summit and Jegs have them too.
Excellent, thanks. I will do some searching.

I used the Dorman pan when we rebuilt my 727 but didn't use the filter extension. Didn't see much use for it? As long as the pan is full using the marks on the dipstick the filter will be covered. What do you gain by sticking the filter an inch deeper into the fluid? Serious question. If someone can convince me I'll add one at the next fluid change.

I used the Dorman pan when we rebuilt my 727 but didn't use the filter extension. Didn't see much use for it? As long as the pan is full using the marks on the dipstick the filter will be covered. What do you gain by sticking the filter an inch deeper into the fluid? Serious question. If someone can convince me I'll add one at the next fluid change.
I think it will pull clean pure fluid from the bottom of the pan, not aerated fluid from the top. It also keeps the pickup submerged during hard acceleration and deceleration.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I checked the local pick n pull.....but they punch holes in them all to drain, and then squash just about every one with the forklift when they pick the vehicles up. I will check out new dorman ones.

It also keeps the pickup submerged during hard acceleration and deceleration.

How is that any different than a stock pan and a stock filter location. The full level on the dipstick keeps the fluid full in relation to the filter. Not arguing, just trying to understand.

How is that any different than a stock pan and a stock filter location. The full level on the dipstick keeps the fluid full in relation to the filter. Not arguing, just trying to understand.
I am no expert.......but in my opinion the same problem would exist with a stock pan and filter location......so if you run a deep pan but dont drop the filter you are loosing out on the benefit of keeping the pickup submerged.

-
Back