727 vs 904?

-
Neither. Go with a GM 200R4 (2004R whichever you prefer to call it), lighter than both and you gain an overdrive gear so you can use 4.10 gears out back and not drive yourself insane while on the freeway. Plus the 200R4 is all hydralic! And yes this trannies can live behind high hp/TQ motors just fine.

I'd do that to our dart in a heartbeat but I refuse to hack that crossmember in such a clean car.

If I had a 727 I would use it. Did anyone ever see a 904 behind a 426 hemi? Of course not, they are not strong enough STOCK! I know they wont fit. Why has Mopar not made them fit? Not as strong as a 727 Tq Flite. IMO the only weak assembly on the 727 is the sprang. Had a 727 behnd my 426 wedge, NEVER had a issue with it.

Correct to some degree, yes in stock form back then. Now its a different story with advancements in technology and such.

If I had a 727 I would use it. Did anyone ever see a 904 behind a 426 hemi? Of course not, they are not strong enough STOCK! I know they wont fit. Why has Mopar not made them fit? Not as strong as a 727 Tq Flite. IMO the only weak assembly on the 727 is the sprang. Had a 727 behnd my 426 wedge, NEVER had a issue with it.

ummm. there are adapter plates made to put a 904 behind a big block.. may be surprised to see what actually has a 904 behind it. just saying.

i have read a 727 is 35 lbs heavier
...and takes 15 - 20 more hp just to run it.
904 should be a big win win

I am rebuilding a 904 the pass couple of day....so what does this "built" 904 had in it..

stock clutch disc...stock steels..
kevlar front and rear bands..
stock sealing rings...stock thrust washers..
stock pump..

upgraded parts... 24 spring kit for the front drum...
Tranzact of Indy transbrake I bought back in 1992...

Trans came out and is gong back in a 71 Duster that has run 10.60s....

build what ever keeps your feet safe and lets you sleep at night...

..your right about that.
Grabbing a 904 is no big deal,but a 727 is a whole new struggle!

Neither. Go with a GM 200R4 (2004R whichever you prefer to call it), lighter than both and you gain an overdrive gear so you can use 4.10 gears out back and not drive yourself insane while on the freeway. Plus the 200R4 is all hydralic! And yes this trannies can live behind high hp/TQ motors just fine.

But at a cost that might be detrimental to some. From the factory the 2004R was never put in any high horsepower/torque applications. Lot's of V6's and small block V8 smogger engines yes (my kids 442 is an example). Factory engineers a lot smarter than we give them credit for. Just my opinion.

But at a cost that might be detrimental to some. From the factory the 2004R was never put in any high horsepower/torque applications. Lot's of V6's and small block V8 smogger engines yes (my kids 442 is an example). Factory engineers a lot smarter than we give them credit for. Just my opinion.

didnt the grand national come with a 200?

Just look up Mopar To Ya's thread about the install of the 200R4 in his dart. His dart has a 408 (or 416) with a Dana 60 out back (gear ratio I can't remember) and he loves the transmission.

The only time I think it would be detrimental to install one is if you have a perfectly good/just rebuild 727/904 and swapping to the 200R4. However if either the 727/904 is in need of a rebuild it's worth it to do 200R4 swap.

This swap makes great since if you don't want to do major tunnel surgery but if you're willing to do the surgery, why limit yourself to a 4 speed auto? Why drop in a 6 or 8 speed auto and drive the piss outta the car?

didnt the grand national come with a 200?

Yes it did. Depending upon the year the factory rated this transmission from 125HP to 267HP and the torque rating from 275 to 355 foot pounds. It can be made of course to handle the horsepower, no argument there, but again at what cost.

my trans buddy who does all my transmissions says that the 200 really doesn't need anything exotic to hold up to a mild small block.. as you get to high hp and tq anything is gonna need money to make it right.

Got em both. Love my 904 in the 74. Still dealing with tuning TQ converter and rear gears in the 72 so the jury is still out for me on the 727. I honestly feel like I want another 3 gears now. Having an 8 speed behind my hemi in my truck spoiled me rotten.

-
Back