73 340-4 speed # matching build !!!!

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
well, i did not think i would start this project so soon, but was bored this morning, and decided that it was time.

i just bought this car from craigslist out of bangor pa. i talked to him on the phone, and he told me basically it was a rot bucket, and needed tons of work. he wanted to take and send pics, but i told him none were needed, as long as it was all number matching like he stated.

it was not just numbers matching, but this is a solid car.
( now, let me clarify what i mean by solid) i do not think a solid car that has any frame, inner fenders, rockers, roof rot. however, a car that has trunk, floor and quarter rot, can be a solid car.
this car to me is above solid. it has holes in driver side front floor, the trunk center is gone, and the lower quarters are gone from mid-point.
other than that, there is a awesome base for a build, and number correct to boot!. i paid 2,900.00 for it sight un-seen, and then fuel expence to go get it.

today i took the engine out, all trim and bumpers, grille,trans, and front seat out. i chose not to strip the car to a shell, as it does not need it.
i am going to build this back to original as possible.
here some pics to start.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 649
  • 022.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 644
  • 018.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 637
  • 008.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 648
  • 007.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 639
  • 011.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 645
  • 010.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 646
  • 009.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 647
  • 015.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 637
here is the car as it got home on saturday

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 620
  • 006.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 624
  • 010.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 623
  • 009.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 624
  • 007.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 628
  • 004.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 628
  • 003.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 630
  • 002.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 634
  • 001.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 629
na, someone helping me pull the engine, threw that in, and i never even noticed it till you guys just pointed it out.lmao

Gonna be a nice one Joe. You oughtta keep this one a while.

well, i do know that i will always get my money out of it, since it is numbers matching, which is hard to find these days, so, we will see how it goes.lol

well, i have seen a bunch of video's on how to replace a quarter, but they make it look so much easier! rofl

anyway, i decided that ill do it different,as i decided to cut the quarter off in smaller pieces, as i have no one to hold the other end as i cut. i will continue to ad to this today, and tonight

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 525
  • 002.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 525
Wait 2 weeks it will be for sale.

hahaha, pound sand!

and, most of you guys like to build to keep locked away, till one day, you see it is stolen, burned in a fire, taken by tornado, without the pleasure of driving it or see someone else that does not have the knowledge to do the work get a nice ride.
me, on the other hand, i can buy it, buil it, and drive for a while, and then pass it on with no resentment, knowing ill be right back on the highway tommorow hawking everyone elses back yard for the next one!!lol

anyway, finally got the passenger side quarter complete cut in and fitting perfect.

AS FOR THEM FLARE TOOLS................THEY SUCK!!!!!!
they work great on new metal, but when i went to use it on the quarter, i has to get in behind there with a razor blade, and romove all that undercoating from the inside the panel. what a nightmare

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 516
  • 004.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 509
That is always how I remove quarters... trying to take it off as one panel is hard and a waste of time. I usually just take my air hammer with a cutting bit around the entire thing, then drill out the spot welds... much easier.

Also, if you have a spot blaster go around the edges where the new panel will sit, get all that rust off before installing.. then you can use a zinc rich primer to coat the bare metal, then do your plug welds... they call it weld through primer, but you can actually fit the panel, then blast the primer out of the plug hole before welding...

Looks good.
If you need a passenger side front floor patch panel, I have one that I did not use in my build, cheap still in the factory box.

thanks, but all floors are good, minus an area near the gas pedal. but ill still winde up putting the full floor in since i got it.

Do your self a favor, only cut the seams where it runs on the frame, to the next seam.
Easier to hide the "repair" and it still will look 100% factory from the underside of the car.
I wish I would have cut the patch panel down a little on mine because it now has a non-factory seam running along behind the trans cross member.

see, you guys sit here and swing big balz, saying"man, i have had my car xxxx years", and i sit and say, man, i cannot belive i still have it!, or man, than car was gone like the wind, or, yes!, now i know i am good for antother few months financially.

yea, i cannot believe i have had this car 4 days already!. it feels like forever, and shoot, pretty soon the car will be burning a hole in my pocket. rofl

Well Joe, my hat's off to you bud. I am glad to see someone buyin cars that would probably be scrapped or just sit and rot and then fix them up. Anybody doesn't like it is just jealous. Good job.

Blue on blue with a 4 spd that is gonna be a sweet ride.

Yeah some folks like to buy em, fix em up and sell em off. Thats not me but its good for the buyer who does not have the know how to get a turn key car ready to drive.

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. Keep those pics coming.

well, no new pics, cause it is definatly not as easy to replace a quarter as i thought.lol and , alot more houres to do one than i thought. i have 14 hrs into the passenger 1/4, and still got another 4 or 5 to go, ad that is before body work!. if i had to do again, i would of went with the full quarters, rather than a skin. live and learn. well, also, they came with the car so.....................

What are you going to do about that R/H Quarter being its the wrong year?

i am going to cut another piece of metal, and weld it in!

-
Back