73 caliper mounting position

-

trbodrt

Reaction score
Hi guys, Im in the process of converting my 72 dart over to complete 73 front suspension and was wondering if there are any pros or cons to swapping spindles side to side to mount calipers towards the rear of the car, right now I'll be running 15 cop wheels but in the future would like to go to maybe 17's with a bit wider tire, also the rear end calipers will be mounted towards the back so aesthetically when converting to an open rim it may look better, any feedback would help, thanks.

Only advantage I know of them being rear mounted is that they will clear the sway bar end links that way.

Hi guys, Im in the process of converting my 72 dart over to complete 73 front suspension and was wondering if there are any pros or cons to swapping spindles side to side to mount calipers towards the rear of the car, right now I'll be running 15 cop wheels but in the future would like to go to maybe 17's with a bit wider tire, also the rear end calipers will be mounted towards the back so aesthetically when converting to an open rim it may look better, any feedback would help, thanks.
When mounting the calipers forward on a 67-72 K-frame, the calipers may hit the sway bar if so equipped. It's not an issue on the 73+ K-frame.

Currently, I'm running a 75 k-frame and BBP disk brake set up under my 72 Demon. The disk brake significantly widens the front track. IMO, anything wider than a 225/60-15 is going to rub on the inside of the front fenders. I have 235/60-15s that are just a little too wide even with a little finessing of the sheet metal. I have 205/60-15s on a 73 Dart BBP disk brake set up and have no problems with tire clearance.

Mount the calipers to the rear avoids any conflicts now or later. You'll need the longer F-body flexible lines.

So are there any cons with leaving them in the stock location if I have the 73 k frame, lower control arms do not have sway bar tabs so I will use aftermarket bracket supplied, most likely going with hellwig tubular.

You'll want them to the rear. Aftermarket sway bars don't fit the same as the 73 stocker

Thanks guys, just trying to play a bit of chess and figure things out a few moves in advance.

So are there any cons with leaving them in the stock location if I have the 73 k frame, lower control arms do not have sway bar tabs so I will use aftermarket bracket supplied, most likely going with hellwig tubular.

Probably OK with the brakes in stock position. When you get closer to the time you're going to pull the pin on this project, suggest calling Helwig (1-800-367-5480), tell them what you'd like to do, leaving the option open for using one of their tubular bars later on. Share your concerns with interference between the brake calipers and the bar. It won't cost you anything to ask questions at this point.

Ok, thanks for the help everyone, I'll definitely give them a call.

-
Back