73 Dodge Dart lighting problems

-

anarchy0392

Reaction score
Okay, for the most part I got everything working. Only things that are not working now is,

Hazards wont turn on at all. No lighting and not flashing nothing at all when I pull the switch.

Next, is my headlights wont turn on but when I press the high beam switch on the floor they come on. So I'm not sure if maybe both headlights low beam filament may be burnt out but haven't looked yet. If its not any ideas?

And last when I turn the blinkers on (outside lights do work) either way the gauge lights wont turn on, I'm thinking bad bulbs but not sure.

You are difficult to follow because of your poor sentence / grammar.

Try to be more clear

What does NOT work is?

high beams

hazards

and on your turn signals they work? Yes? no? But the dash indicators do not?

===========================================

Hazards. fuse, flasher, switch.. That is, turn signal switch

High beams. Bad ground at the harness "out front." Poor connections at the lamp sockets. Bad headlights. MORE LIKELY is a bad dimmer switch, or a bad connection where the high beam wire feeds through the bulkhead connector

Does the high beam indicator in the cluster come on? This is indeed most likely bad bulbs in the cluster or poor connections at the sockets for those bulbs

Do yourself a HUGE favor. Download yourself a free Chrysler service manual

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Yeah sorry I fixed it, normally my grammar nazi is great. I'm stressed out cause I'm at the hospital right now. My wife had a c-section and the baby got transferred to a different hospital. So I'm trying to get my mind off this for a bit and get some help with my new toy.

Hope things go well. Post back when you get time

Okay will do and thank you. But I remembered last night that the dart has a wiring clip hanging that has 2 wires. Its on the left hand side of the steering wheel just hanging there, not sure what it goes to and haven't taken a look yet. Anyone got a pic of the wires that go to the back of the headlight switch or wire harness that goes to it?

Okay so this is what is hanging from under the dash closest to the door on driver side.

wires
nwKhsaO.jpg

and their connecters
onCIUFb.jpg

First, if you don't have one go here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

towards the last and download the two sections to the 73 service manual

More stuff here

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Now, in the service manual, this is the first year Ma redid the wiring diagram "stuff" for the A bodies (V-L series) These sort of start on page 8-153

Notice in the contents it says

Connector charts

"CI Instrument panel page 167

So look starting page 8-167 where the circled numbers start saying "CI-" This means "Connector, Instrument, number XX"

See CI-3? That's your dimmer switch connector. Look at the wire colors. That connector has a violet, light green, and red wire I cannot tell from your photo which is blurry. It might be your horn relay connector, and that is the relay you show at the bottom. It also has a separate connector for the single contact which is black. See connector CI-4

The connector above the relay? Again, cannot tell. Might be the seat belt buzzer? CI-29? Does it have a dark blue on one end and two dark blue at the other terminal?

Yep that's what those to are. No wonder when I plugged the top one in I heard this annoying sound. -_- okay ill take some time and look through that stuff. Thank you for your help. Also I know pics were crappy they were taken with my phone.

Post back to this thread if you have more. Unless the wiring has been hacked, these are fairly easy

Sorry its been so long but I think I narrowed it down to the switch. I checked all the wires by looking and seen no brakes, tears , or burnt wires. I have really really long extensions for my DVOM for jobs like this and from the indicated wire in the diagram from switch to the bulb socket I got a full circuit. (ie not an OL on an ohm test) Is there a way to test just the switch to be sure. Also the bulbs are same as the ones in my ford focus so i popped one in the focus and it worked.

What switch, what bulb? Dimmer switch? You lost me......................

The way your first post reads suggests the dimmer switch is faulty. I've seen cases where the lights would only work while holding the dimmer switch pressed. Thing is, when the headlight switch is off there shouldn't be power there. Maybe both switches are bad. Like a bad dimmer switch killed the headlight switch. The headlight switch does have built in protection that will interrupt the lights when a severe fault occurs downstream. That protection would cycle only so many times before it fails completely.
Good luck with it.

Headlight switch in cluster and headlight bulb ... How did I lose you?

You said "the switch" and I don't know which switch "the" is.

As Red said I still think this is after the headlight switch

============================================

Check for power at the dimmer switch. If you have good power there then

the headlight switch

the headlight connector

and the wiring up to the dimmer switch

is good
=================================================

From the dimmer switch, either dim or bright power goes out through the bulkhead to the lamp harness

So DETERMINE if things are good into and out of the dimmer switch.

If power is good OUT of the dimmer switch and if the dimmer switch CONNECTOR is OK

Then your troubles move to

the bulkhead connector

the lamp connectors and connections

grounding problems in the harness out near the lamps

==============================================

Please be VERY specific. We cannot see what you are doing, looking at, or thinking.

-
Back