73 duster 7 1/4 to 8 3/4 swap question

-

Garza08

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm stuck in a hole and can't get myself out of it have a few questions about my swap and trying to hurry to make the races in a few weeks so all advice is appreciated

I have an a body 8 3/4 rear end with 411 gears with 5x4.5 axles that were redrilled on small bolt pattern axles .... But I can't seem to find drums to fit the 8 3/4 with the re drilled axles... My question is my 7 1/4 has the large bolt pattern and was wondering if I could use the backing plates brakes and drums from there and install them in the 8 3/4.... Or if there is other solutions please let me know .... I also thought about drilling holes on the drums of the 8 3/4 to fit the large bOlt pattern again dOnt know Wat to do please help

Hey guys I'm stuck in a hole and can't get myself out of it have a few questions about my swap and trying to hurry to make the races in a few weeks so all advice is appreciated

I have an a body 8 3/4 rear end with 411 gears with 5x4.5 axles that were redrilled on small bolt pattern axles .... But I can't seem to find drums to fit the 8 3/4 with the re drilled axles... My question is my 7 1/4 has the large bolt pattern and was wondering if I could use the backing plates brakes and drums from there and install them in the 8 3/4.... Or if there is other solutions please let me know .... I also thought about drilling holes on the drums of the 8 3/4 to fit the large bOlt pattern again dOnt know Wat to do please help
You have to use the small bolt drums and plates and hardware and drill the drum to big bolt as well.
If you get dr diff axels you get big bolt pattern and can use b body drum brakes.

I am fairly certain that the small bolt 8 3/4 drums have a much smaller pilot diameter and cannot be used on large bolt pattern axles for that reason. When I put together the 8 3/4 for my A body I used complete brake assemblies from a 73 8 1/4 - drums, brakes and back plates, and it all bolted on and worked great. I do not know if your 7 1/4 stuff will work.

Well the axles are original just redrilled and I would like to know if the 7 1/4 would fit.... And if I re drill the drums would it affect the performance or usage

Well the axles are original just redrilled and I would like to know if the 7 1/4 would fit.... And if I re drill the drums would it affect the performance or usage

I it were me I would get new axels cause redrilling them leaves less than 1/4 inch of meat left for the studs

Yes the plan is to buy after market axles later when I can afford them but trying to finish on my budget first and get ready for the race

Yes the plan is to buy after market axles later when I can afford them but trying to finish on my budget first and get ready for the race

You will have to buy brake parts twice then........Dr Diff axels are not very pricey and are great and customer service is second to none

-
Back