73 Duster build named Fred

-
$225 invested so far to convert my 73 to a 72. Grille, bumper and filler plus a few scrap pieces of aluminum sheet to make L brackets negating the need to swap fenders. Now to find a hood and I’m set!

IMG_2116.jpeg

$225 invested so far to convert my 73 to a 72. Grille, bumper and filler plus a few scrap pieces of aluminum sheet to make L brackets negating the need to swap fenders. Now to find a hood and I’m set!

View attachment 1716183877

I like it and if the hood wasn’t involved would consider it for my heads up car. But although was set up for a small block can easily be switched to a big block. The scoop attaches to the carb so the hood is notched around it. To much work involved.

IMG_5138.jpeg

IMG_6238.jpeg

Got the 73 to 72 front end conversion done (minus the hood), replacement door installed, painted, stripped and guys transferred over from the original door. Tomorrow I’ll get the custom tailpipes installed. Then it’s time to start looking for a track down south to go run the car and see what it will do.

IMG_2117.jpeg

Can you take a closer picture of how the '73 hood interfaces with the earlier grill? Looks like it kind of works from a distance. But maybe it is just the angle?

Make sure you come over to Spokane and race at Qlispe this summer.

Can you take a closer picture of how the '73 hood interfaces with the earlier grill? Looks like it kind of works from a distance. But maybe it is just the angle?

Make sure you come over to Spokane and race at Qlispe this summer.

[/URL][/URL]
It does fit surprisingly well with the exception of the beak. Basically the front hangs over the grille just enough to not touch it.

I’ll definitely plan on making it out to Spokane this year.

Bill

Ok, with the exception of the hood (getting one from GTX John), Fred is ready to make his maiden voyage down the 1320! Tailpipes done, alignment done, 70-72 conversion about done, engine and trans dialed in, rear diff heat cycled and ready to go, wiring just lighting left to do, amateur paint job done (body work and pro paint after I back half the car next winter) and a ton of other stuff.....DONE!

I am redoing the brake lines over the rear axle so don't mind the zipties.... lol

tailpipes.jpg

v-band.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, with the exception of the hood (getting one from GTX John), Fred is ready to make his maiden voyage down the 1320! Tailpipes done, alignment done, 70-72 conversion about done, engine and trans dialed in, rear diff heat cycled and ready to go, wiring just lighting left to do, amateur paint job done (body work and pro paint after I back half the car next winter) and a ton of other stuff.....DONE!

I am redoing the brake lines over the rear axle so don't mind the zipties.... lol

View attachment 1716184393

View attachment 1716184394

And I haven’t even touched my car yet. My drag-on azz better get going.

Fred has a nick name with that hood and that grille, it's called " ol buck tooth".
I'm also going to attempt to make it over to Spokane.
So everyone can beat my junker

-
Back