73 Duster build named Fred

-
At that shift RPM you are probably making peak power 400-600 RPM below that. If 200 RPM more slows it down, you have your shift point about exactly right.
Yep that's where I wanted the motor. It's a torque monster. I foot brake so I need the bottom end to be very responsive.

go for 426 ,i did molnar rods and crank, works well but get best heads you can afford

Here’s a couple footbrake passes with a stock crank 360 at 3200 pounds. I’d say that’s pretty responsive

007A1460-47FF-44F9-AEAB-B10FE3ED87B4.jpeg

C116BB77-94EB-44D0-B24D-BE927AEC22F8.jpeg

90953BB5-7270-4915-8627-574463BD69C9.jpeg

4DA45887-8431-4654-BB3F-9C53CF796145.jpeg

19591255-12D8-4B9F-8531-7355D70AD030.jpeg

5A9A3E42-7D26-4EC0-85F3-F31ECCD2B13E.jpeg

Finally started working on the Duster yesterday. Complete teardown including pulling the 225/904 and taking out the interior. Next I will roll it out of the shop, pressure wash everything, roll it back in and pull the k-member and the 7.25 rear axle. Then work on the rear suspension and get the fabricated 9" installed along with the mono-spring/Caltracs setup and onto the front. I haven't decided on whether or not to throw on the v8 k-member or go with a QA1 setup just yet. I suppose that can come later if I decide I need to upgrade once the car is running.

• Engine (360) is at the builder getting stripped and will go to the machine shop this week. Plan there is to bore the cylinders to 030 over and prep for whatever rotating assembly I decide on which will hopefully be today.

• Trans (727) is at the transmission shopping getting a full upgrade including manual valvebody with trans brake.

• PTC is building a bulletproof 4200 stall converter. I still got time to change the stall if I decide to.

• Billet Specialties is waiting for me to spec out the Comp 5 skinnies/beadlock combo which will happen once I get the rear axle and spring locations situated.

• Seats are getting dropped off tomorrow to get re-covered.

Once it's a roller again, it will go outside, get wet sanded and prepped for a couple of small areas that need to be repaired. Plan is to paint the car before it all goes back together which is hopefully within a couple of months from now. So little time, so much to do.... lol

Day 1.jpg

Finally started working on the Duster yesterday. Complete teardown including pulling the 225/904 and taking out the interior. Next I will roll it out of the shop, pressure wash everything, roll it back in and pull the k-member and the 7.25 rear axle. Then work on the rear suspension and get the fabricated 9" installed along with the mono-spring/Caltracs setup and onto the front. I haven't decided on whether or not to throw on the v8 k-member or go with a QA1 setup just yet. I suppose that can come later if I decide I need to upgrade once the car is running.

• Engine (360) is at the builder getting stripped and will go to the machine shop this week. Plan there is to bore the cylinders to 030 over and prep for whatever rotating assembly I decide on which will hopefully be today.

• Trans (727) is at the transmission shopping getting a full upgrade including manual valvebody with trans brake.

• PTC is building a bulletproof 4200 stall converter. I still got time to change the stall if I decide to.

• Billet Specialties is waiting for me to spec out the Comp 5 skinnies/beadlock combo which will happen once I get the rear axle and spring locations situated.

• Seats are getting dropped off tomorrow to get re-covered.

Once it's a roller again, it will go outside, get wet sanded and prepped for a couple of small areas that need to be repaired. Plan is to paint the car before it all goes back together which is hopefully within a couple of months from now. So little time, so much to do.... lol

View attachment 1716059339

Nice.

Check this out, as well as looking g up younggun2.0's 727 build thread

I hear you on the QA1 k member. My wife caught me with it in my summit shopping cart on Thursday night. She made me put it back. To be fair, I knew that I couldn't really afford it right now because I was already buying some 10.5" wheels for the charger to replace the 9.5" up front, I cracked the fronts last month. :/ I have to pay off the summit card before I can get more stuff, and within 6 months to get the 0% A.P.R.

There is a company called Factory Reproductions, model FR73 in a bronze that would look stunning with your green paint.

I can't tell which you have on your green challenger there, but I love the look of the demon replica wheels.

16780571179152143386986003726124.jpg

1678057198664370810565470746916.jpg

Nice.

Check this out, as well as looking g up younggun2.0's 727 build thread

I hear you on the QA1 k member. My wife caught me with it in my summit shopping cart on Thursday night. She made me put it back. To be fair, I knew that I couldn't really afford it right now because I was already buying some 10.5" wheels for the charger to replace the 9.5" up front, I cracked the fronts last month. :/ I have to pay off the summit card before I can get more stuff, and within 6 months to get the 0% A.P.R.

There is a company called Factory Reproductions, model FR73 in a bronze that would look stunning with your green paint.

I can't tell which you have on your green challenger there, but I love the look of the demon replica wheels.

View attachment 1716059406
My Challenger is a Super Stock so it came with the Demon wheels from the factory.

IMG_9904.JPG

More parts arrived today for my build. Fabricated 9" housing, all the parts needed to assemble a stout aluminum dropout and some 15x8 wheels.

tempImageqEQNuW.png

tempImageSwDvQS.png

tempImagew86QVw.png

More parts showed up today…. Currie axles, another fabricated 9” housing because the first one they sent was too narrow, rear disc brake kit, carpet kit and a dash pad.

5383D686-6A55-406B-9DF7-B1D139983FA7.jpeg

Calvert Racing split mono leafs, Caltracs and adjustable racing shocks showed up as well as for the Yukon aluminum drop out assembled. Also got the wallets back from powder coat and some **** tires mounted. This will be the street setup that I’ll use to break in the engine with and dial in everything before taking it to the track. Going to be a busy weekend!

81BDCBEB-D763-41DC-8CB9-5ECA54B8859B.jpeg

06C0C7DC-F627-4F9D-BC39-481395B8C3FB.jpeg

Where did you get the aluminum center?
How much?

Calvert Racing split mono leafs, Caltracs and adjustable racing shocks showed up as well as for the Yukon aluminum drop out assembled. Also got the wallets back from powder coat and some **** tires mounted. This will be the street setup that I’ll use to break in the engine with and dial in everything before taking it to the track. Going to be a busy weekend!

View attachment 1716062057

View attachment 1716062058

Do yourself a HUGE favor. Send those shocks back and buy some double adjustable Viking shocks.

IMO, ANY of those single adjustable shocks are worthless.

Its a shame Calvert hasn’t either stopped selling that garbage or at least offered a DA shock.

Now is the time to send them back. If you want to really tune the suspension DA shocks are a must, regardless of what Calvert says

Do yourself a HUGE favor. Send those shocks back and buy some double adjustable Viking shocks.

IMO, ANY of those single adjustable shocks are worthless.

Its a shame Calvert hasn’t either stopped selling that garbage or at least offered a DA shock.

Now is the time to send them back. If you want to really tune the suspension DA shocks are a must, regardless of what Calvert says
Got it, thanks for the tip.

Hi Tom,

I am the "other member" you quoted the complete stroker kit for. :thumbsup:

I'm meeting with my engine builder this today and will get back to you after I had a chance to talk to him. One thing he will be asking for sure is lead time so if you could find out for me, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
Tom is a good guy. You caint go wrong.

Day 2 of the build.... Pulled the engine and trans out. Tomorrow I will roll it out of the shop and pressure wash everything, roll it back in and pull the rear axle out so I can start working on the mini tubs and inboarding the springs. Then I can get the new 9" axle under the car and burn in the spring perches.

tempImagemJ61uw.png

tempImage9f54Iu.png

-
Back