73 Duster build named Fred

-
It's a cool car and cool build. I would have named it something female though. lol

It's a cool car and cool build. I would have named it something female though. lol
There’s a story behind the name. I don’t normally name my vehicles but this one is special. My dad bought a new a body 50 years ago before he passed away and I’ve always wanted to build one. This one kinda fell in my lap and I was fortunate enough to get it home to start the build on March 4, which would have been my dad’s birthday. Fred is short for Frederick which was his middle name. My grandparents used to call him Fred which is why I decided to name this car Fred.

There’s a story behind the name. I don’t normally name my vehicles but this one is special. My dad bought a new a body 50 years ago before he passed away and I’ve always wanted to build one. This one kinda fell in my lap and I was fortunate enough to get it home to start the build on March 4, which would have been my dad’s birthday. Fred is short for Frederick which was his middle name. My grandparents used to call him Fred which is why I decided to name this car Fred.
That's pretty cool. My 75 F250 Ford truck was the first vehicle I ever named. I named it Gladys. That was my mother's first name. Her middle name was Nan, which she went by because she didn't like Gladys, but I always liked it.

Days 3 and 4 of the build went well this weekend. Got the rear springs inboarded, axle installed, interior and all the wiring stripped out of the car with the exception of under the dash. This coming weekend, I'll pull the dash out and get the rest of it. Then it's time to install the cage, clean the engine compartment, rewire the car and get it ready for the cammed and headed 360 to go in temporarily while the 408 gets built. I'll use it to get all the bugs out of the car and everything dialed in and then it will come out.

tempImageycBCV4.png

tempImagexDToq1.png

tempImageKHegVp.png

tempImage2VWYH8.png

tempImageQ5yk1Q.png

tempImageTF2Kul.png

tempImagerKZsyX.png

tempImageCI0B5s.png

tempImagelKASp3.png

Well, looks like I need to update this post. I've been working on the car every weekend since I started for a total of 12 days now. I'll try to keep the pics in order.... lol

Day 5 I pulled the windshield to get the dash out of the car and pulled out the rest of the wiring. I then cleaned and treated the rust. Ran out of POR15 so I used the next best thing. Only difference is it doesn't coat the surface so I will have to paint once it dries. I also pulled all of the brake and fuel lines out of the car so at this point there are no wires, lines or hoses left.

tempImageTmN7mI.png

tempImageURtsUO.png

tempImageYSiNq1.png

tempImageZwlSNv.png

tempImageRbRSWd.png

tempImagegpHJ9l.png

Day 6 started with cleaning out the shop because I couldn't find ****! lol

I then installed the 360 to test fit headers before I send out for ceramic coating.

Then I pulled the engine back out and cut up a brand new tank and welded on a fuel sump. Forgot to take picks but I fabbed up so baffles in the sump rather than drilling holes in the tank. Before I ended the day, I played with gauge mounting locations. Since the climate control/heater isn't going back in, I set the gauges in the cutout. Not sure if I am going to keep them there or not.

tempImagettQHgV.png

tempImageQgj58M.png

tempImage1YpnZo.png

tempImagepBB5Gk.png

tempImage4mye60.png

tempImaged88lfc.png

Days 7 and 8 were short days as I had duty that weekend and all I got done was start on the cage and get the sub frame connectors welded in. Not sure why I don't have a picture of the frame connectors....

tempImageANnULi.png

tempImageUR5FvM.png

tempImageoyixZ1.png

tempImage3XpSu7.png

Last edited:
Days 9 and 10 I painted the floor and installed thermo barrier/sound deadening material, started laying out the wiring and mocking up the seats. Finished the weekend with getting the front suspension and brakes done.

tempImageNXsxSV.png

tempImage69edDy.png

tempImageEgqx7F.png

tempImagenaIXdw.png

tempImagePU7EVs.png

Last edited:
Days 11 and 12 were pretty productive. Got the engine compartment painted F4 green, installed the engine, trans, headers, fuel tank and started routing the under hood wiring as well as mock up the exhaust. While installing the headers, I found out that I must not have had the engine sitting in the car just right because now they don't fit. Had to open up the holes in the fender wells and pull the power steering gear box. Decided rather than beat on the headers, I am going to convert to manual steering and wouldn't you know it? Someone put up a brand new PST manual box for sale on the forum today just as I was about to order one. Snagged it up and ordered a pitman arm and universal since I plan to extend the steering column myself.

tempImagesXdNO8.png

tempImagenUdfRy.png

tempImagerF3RFj.png

tempImagePQIwNR.png

tempImagecY0xXq.png

tempImage5bWy1W.png

tempImagek02CoS.png

tempImagewbqDZa.png

Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Get’ I on it like a house on fire!

Why did you paint the engine compartment F4?

Why did you paint the engine compartment F4?
Because I like 2-tone paint jobs? :lol:

I really don't like 2-tone paint and I am painting the car F4. Whole lot easier to paint the engine compartment without anything in it.

Days 11 and 12 were pretty productive. Got the engine compartment painted F4 green, installed the engine, trans, headers, fuel tank and started routing the under hood wiring as well as mock up the exhaust. While installing the headers, I found out that I must not have had the engine sitting in the car just right because now they don't fit. Had to open up the holes in the fender wells and pull the power steering gear box. Decided rather than beat on the headers, I am going to convert to manual steering and wouldn't you know it? Someone put up a brand new PST manual box for sale on the forum today just as I was about to order one. Snagged it up and ordered a pitman arm and universal since I plan to extend the steering column myself.

View attachment 1716079313

View attachment 1716079314

View attachment 1716079315

View attachment 1716079316

View attachment 1716079317

View attachment 1716079318

View attachment 1716079319

View attachment 1716079320
Car is coming together!, nice work, think you might have a shot at taking it to renegade raceway for the mopar drags in June?

Totally forgot about this thread and updating it. The build got put on the backburner while I was cleaning up the 70 Dart I acquired but I’m ready to get back after it.

I’ll post up days 13 and 14 later today but here’s what it looks like now.

IMG_1057.jpeg

IMG_1059.jpeg

IMG_1061.jpeg

IMG_1062.jpeg

-
Back