73 Duster build named Fred

-
Where is you order the fiberglass parts at? I have AAR bumpers and would like to get a bolt on fiberglass 6pack hood. I just don't want to deal with the hassle of lifting the entire hood off between each pass.

It’s crazy these cars are that heavy. I always thought A-bodies (especially with small blocks) were much lighter considering I grew up dealing with my dads tank of a roadrunner. Then I saw how much people’s stuff really weighed and I was shell shocked.

The glass hood, deck lid, and bumpers will certainly help lighten er up.

Don’t forget we are counting the driver too.

Where is you order the fiberglass parts at? I have AAR bumpers and would like to get a bolt on fiberglass 6pack hood. I just don't want to deal with the hassle of lifting the entire hood off between each pass.

Why are you taking the hood off. Lol. I can usually go three weekends without doing that.

What year is your duster, I have a bolt on fiberglass six pack hood Im thinking about selling. It’s not tall enough for new combo.

That’s what I have. Called about ordering another hood last week and I about fell over when they said $510 to ship lol.

IMG_0045.png

If you decide you want to sell it, let me know. I don't know where you are located but that would be important as well. I tried to pm you but your inbox is full.

My sons 1970 duster is 3200-3250 with him in it. Heavy six pak fiberglass hood and the rest all steel. 8 point cage and frame connectors and stock glass. I’m guessing he weighs around 150 pounds. If Bill didn’t lighten the doors I’m betting he’s 3300 plus
I was just guestimating

I was just guestimating

I am too. Those years have those crazy crash bars in the doors and shocks on the bumpers so I’m not sure what all he still has. My green and blue 1974 big blocks dusters we’re both light but had lots of work done getting them there.

I am too. Those years have those crazy crash bars in the doors and shocks on the bumpers so I’m not sure what all he still has. My green and blue 1974 big blocks dusters we’re both light but had lots of work done getting them there.
I know he doesn't have shocks in his bumpers, he has a 71 bumper on it, I gave him that.

73 did not have shocks in the bumpers and the heavy beams in the doors. That all didn't start till 74

I know my blue 1974 duster for the late 1980’s and the green duster I sold in 2022 both had steel doors but fixed lexan windows. Those doors were so light it wasn’t funny. Not worth putting glass doors on. When I sold my fiberglass doors off my 1970 duster and put stock doors on with wind up windows those suckers are heavy. But man I love my wind up windows.

I know my blue 1974 duster for the late 1980’s and the green duster I sold in 2022 both had steel doors but fixed lexan windows. Those doors were so light it wasn’t funny. Not worth putting glass doors on. When I sold my fiberglass doors off my 1970 duster and put stock doors on with wind up windows those suckers are heavy. But man I love my wind up windows.
I agree with the wind up windows. Nice to drive around the pits or sit on the lanes with the windows down. I didn't know much about these cars until I bought mine. I had my doors off and couldn't believe the weight difference from a 73 door to a 74 door. You almost need two people for a 74 door. Which is the reason why Derek's blue car has doors from an early 70's car. Even though that car has a 72 tail panel on it and a 70 grill, the original body is a 74.

To stay true to my semi-period correct build I will do the windows with a seatbelt and snaps or something to keep them up .

Where's Bill, he oughta be participating in his thread lol

Andys Autosport and US Body (same stuff but can't remember if it's Andys or US that make them) wanted ridiculous shipping to me so I went with Unlimited Performance Products. Hood, trunk lid and both bumpers shipped to me was $1170.

No shocks on either front or rear bumper on my car since it is an early 73 and my doors are gutted. The car is still a heavy pig though.... lol

Where's Bill, he oughta be participating in his thread lol
I'm here working on the car. Got everything checked out, 2-step wired in and tested, all the electrical gremlins discovered at the track fixed and trying to decide if I drop the trans pan and yank the valve body out since I found one with TB. As of right now, it is ready to go on another road trip and hit the track.... lol

-
Back