73 Duster build named Fred

-
Just got off the phone with Mike who’s doing my heads and intake. He said the heads went from 285 cfm @ .500 lift (got turbulent after that) to 318 @ .600 and 319 @ .700. He said good for at least 50hp at the crank and they are shipping today. Waiting for pictures and printout now.

Time to party this time next week!
I see a cam change in your future.

I see a cam change in your future.
Yeah, we kinda talked about that in Vegas. I've decided it will happen, just not this season. I'll get one spec'ed and ordered mid season with plans to install over the winter. Think I will pull the engine and trans out, get the body work done and car repainted while I freshen the engine and do the cam swap. I might decide to throw in the rest of the tubing to get the cage certed and install the PG then as well.... we will see. lol

Just got off the phone with Mike who’s doing my heads and intake. He said the heads went from 285 cfm @ .500 lift (got turbulent after that) to 318 @ .600 and 319 @ .700. He said good for at least 50hp at the crank and they are shipping today. Waiting for pictures and printout now.

Time to party this time next week!
Party time, sounds fun

50 years ago today, my dad passed away and left my mom to raise my sister and I. It was one of the worst days of my life as he was the one person I spent all of my time with and learned so much from. I was just a kid when he was taken from us but I still remember everything he taught me and to this day, I try to live the values and be the man that he was and put my family and friends ahead of everything else. A year ago I started working on my Duster as a tribute build to my dad.

Mom struggled at first to fill his shoes but eventually filled the role left behind by Dad. Our bond continued to grow and I never left her side until she passed in 2001. So many years have gone by but I still think about my parents every day. If you are fortunate enough to still have your parents, make sure they know how much you love them.

This weekend I am taking my family out camping, rain or shine. It will be the first time ever camping together and I am going to make sure it is a memorable time for all. Yes, this means I won’t be working on Fred…. lol

410946182_6909647912438376_1958784676602225439_n.jpeg

50 years ago today, my dad passed away and left my mom to raise my sister and I. It was one of the worst days of my life as he was the one person I spent all of my time with and learned so much from. I was just a kid when he was taken from us but I still remember everything he taught me and to this day, I try to live the values and be the man that he was and put my family and friends ahead of everything else. A year ago I started working on my Duster as a tribute build to my dad.

Mom struggled at first to fill his shoes but eventually filled the role left behind by Dad. Our bond continued to grow and I never left her side until she passed in 2001. So many years have gone by but I still think about my parents every day. If you are fortunate enough to still have your parents, make sure they know how much you love them.

This weekend I am taking my family out camping, rain or shine. It will be the first time ever camping together and I am going to make sure it is a memorable time for all. Yes, this means I won’t be working on Fred…. lol

View attachment 1716225369

For the little time they had with you they did a great job. I was blessed to have mine a little longer than you but mom was last to go in 2009. Then a sister five years ago after years of alcohol abuse. Thanks buddy for sharing your story. Have a great family trip.

View attachment 1716225369
I don't know the words for that but I felt it.
Have fun this weekend Bill !

Enjoy your time with the family and create some lasting memories.
I feel extremely fortunate that my mother is still going strong at 91 years young.
My dad died in 2006, and we didn't always get along, but we were able to find some common ground before he passed.

I just called both my parents and told them I love them.

Thanks Bill. Have a great time camping.

That's a great tribute. Well done!

I speak with my folks about every day. He's 91 and going strong - complains about his golf game but what the heck! She'll be 90 this summer and is wheelchair bound so extra attention required. But love them both and they get a call just about every day from me.

Ok, weekend camping trip with my family is over and now it’s time to get after it on fred. I got a private track rental coming up on the 6th and I still have to finish fitting the trunk lid and scoop on the glass hood which I can’t do until my heads and intake show up this week. At least I got the printout of the before and after numbers from the head work. I’m not as concerned about the final numbers as much as I am with the improvement which I am very pleased with. Should be good for another 50-60hp and along with the 200+ pounds weight loss and low altitude track, I am expecting to see some low 10 second time slips.

Attachment.jpeg

Ok, weekend camping trip with my family is over and now it’s time to get after it on fred. I got a private track rental coming up on the 6th and I still have to finish fitting the trunk lid and scoop on the glass hood which I can’t do until my heads and intake show up this week. At least I got the printout of the before and after numbers from the head work. I’m not as concerned about the final numbers as much as I am with the improvement which I am very pleased with. Should be good for another 50-60hp and along with the 200+ pounds weight loss and low altitude track, I am expecting to see some low 10 second time slips.

View attachment 1716226601
:thumbsup:

View attachment 1716226601

You should post a new post with these numbers and see if we could get a good discussion about these heads.

I know of several sets that didn’t flow as expected. Let’s see what guys have to say about it. Information is a good thing. This particular head porter said he found the same thing I did.
Yeah I agree, I think it's the step over from the CNC

I don’t know squat about porting heads, much less flowing them but I feel strongly about numbers/results will vary from flow bench to flow bench much like dyno numbers do. Only thing I care about is what will the car run and was my investment worth it.

Last edited:
I don’t know squat about porting heads, much less flowing them but I feel strongly about numbers/results will vary from flow bench to flow bench much like dyno numbers do. Only thing I care about is what will the car run and was my investment worth it.

Absolutely right. But it would still be a good discussion.

-
Back