73 Duster / Gasser / Oiler...

-

Joe Mc

No Car Like A MoPar!
Reaction score
Anyone ever straight axel a Duster?
I'm kicking this around. Why you might ask? I say why not?
So the subject indicates "Gasser" / "Oiler", hmmmm.
I could go either way. But I think it would be most odd if I made an "oiler". Once again, why? Well I think it'll cost a heck of a lot less to make 500 - 550 RWHP and 1000 RWTQ using a 24 valve, VP pumped Cummins than it would to try to come close to that with a small or big block gas engine. And this RW HP & TQ can be achieved with "stone" stock internals = bolt-ons only. See my "Daily Driver" listed in the signature below.
I know there's a good deal of fab to be done to the front thru the back of an A-Body to get it a Cummins to fit, hold the car together and have it drive correctly, but imagine a few things before you "click to the next post".
1-A exactly powered 7,000# truck like mine, who the owner beats the dog snot out of = 4 wheel drive boosted launches and other "antics" has turned mid 12's, on #2 oil, street tires and without drugs.
2-It would be for sure a unique ride - imagine hearing the sound of a rattling diesel with the whine of a turbo (maybe two...) coming down the road and you look to see what the heck is making all that racket to find it's a 73 Duster sittin high in the front with a single stack sticking out of the hood as it puffs massive quantities of blackness out of the stack passing by...
3-Turning a mid 10 quarter +/- in an old MoPar with a slightly old diesel engine.
4-Stock style 340 stripes with the call-out replaced with ISB – designation for the 1999 Standard Output 5.9L Cummins.
So, anyone have any ideas? I'm sure I'd need some pretty hefty leaf springs and an axel up front and at least a D60/70 out back. For starters I'd have to lengthen the front sheet metal about 12-18" between the door and the front wheelhouse, acquire some 3" X 4" rails and remove the existing sub frames and so forth. All the electronics from a donor 2500 would have to be swapped over and then the wiring fun will begin.
Call me crazy go ahead... I don't have a problem with insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

Your comments, whatever they may be, are welcome. BTW – The 340 Duster, subject car, is one of those no nothing matches at all = clean artistic pallet.

Sounds interesting...I say go for it,but find a Duster that's headed to the wreckers and start from there,just incase you decide to give up on it your not tossing a good A-body away.JMO

Good point, it needs alot already tho and its presently torn down only rear glass, headliner, pedal assy and remnants of the old wiring harness remain in the shell.

I have an idea,to what a Cummins can do.An altered wheelbase /longer wheelbase,would help big time here. Look at the A/FX cars ,on nitro.Bitchin'idea,BTW.....

Sounds like a wicked idea! a 4BT would fit comfortably, but there's two major drawbacks to that. Not as much power and cost. That and talk about shake, rattle, and roll, you will be getting a whole lot of the first. I'd do it. Be a very cool and unique project. I think your best bet on a straight axle with some beefy springs attached would be a Sweptline truck. I believe you will want to seek out 1968 and earlier leaf springs though and use the later '69+ axle and steering

excerpt from sweptlinetrucks.com:

"Another important modification came in the form of, "Cushioned Beam Suspension." This enabled Dodge to continue selling the only pickup on the market with a solid I-Beam front axel. An independent front suspension never came into production until 1972. Cushioned beam suspension was a modification to the existing suspension by way of; (1) a sway bar, (2) new front leaf springs with lower rates and plastic liners, (3) new tie-rod ends, (4) shorter pitman arms to reduce friction, (5) increased steering ratio for easier handling."

Thanks folks. Hearing from others, as we all know, that think "that'd be cool" is a great booster. PanGasket, thanks for the info on straight axels. Gives me an idea of what to look for as I want it to not only look odd, but it needs to drive well and be street legal too.

Thanks folks. Hearing from others, as we all know, that think "that'd be cool" is a great booster. PanGasket, thanks for the info on straight axels. Gives me an idea of what to look for as I want it to not only look odd, but it needs to drive well and be street legal too.
Bonus: 5x 4.5" bolt circle as well.

I am planning on using one when I build a gasser, if ever.

The one major downside is they are drum brake axles and they were never offered with discs.

But here's a good write-up on the scarebird conversion
http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/0805clt_1967_dodge_truck_brakes_dodgeing_disaster/

Cool article, thanks.

I recently did a drum to disk conversion on the rear of my 99 Ram, kit was decent, the e-brake part was a bit of a pain but doable with a welder and some flat stock to fab up the outer cable stop. Odd assembly of parts in the kit: 01-up GMC Dually rear rotors, 76-78 Eldo calipers (as I wanted e-brakes), 1/8" spacer between hub and rotor, water-jet cut one piece adapter/caliper mount plate and brake hoses from a 2007 Ram 1500 4 X 4 front? How they came up with that concoction I'll never know but it works and I no longer need to say "I hate my rear drum brakes".

-
Back