73 Duster Restoration

-
Having issues with my Thermoquad so I took it apart which I should have just done from the beginning. Some junk in it but not to bad looking. Something is gummed up some place though. One side of the squirter has a heavy stream, the other side not as much. Also the mixture screw on the side with the heavy stream wants to be backed way out.

Took the carb apart and soaked everything in evaporust. I'll pick up a kit today but Im gonna need a secondary throttle shaft or a real small drill bit. One of the screws broke. I almost left the throttle shaft in but it seemed a bit sticky so I pulled them.

Oh and the new Mopar Perf plug wires are to short!

I ended up buying 2 sets of the wires...i couldn't get one set to fit right...so I ended up mixing and matching.

Normally I buy cut to fit wire sets...but I really wanted these Mopar orange ones.

Paul

vbpgimage.php

the longest wire is to short to use in the factory loom for the #1 and #2 cylinders unfortunately so even a second set wont do much good.

I have absolutely no interesting update, LOL. The car is still masked up from repriming the passenger side quarter, The thermoquad is still in pieces on the bench and ever time I go out to the garage I forget the camera.

Im still searching for the correct top rod for the kick down linkage and Im considering sending the Thermoquad to Harms auto to have it restore and replated.

Finally had sometime to dig the Duster out yesterday and get some blocking done ! It was so hot that the Evercoat metal glaze I mixed up was almost dry by the time I made my way from the bench to the back of the car, LOL

I also picked up a Eddy 600 for now, the old TQ was driving me crazy. As soon as it bolted up and running I pull it out of the garage and get some updated pictures.

Man this heat is a kicker! This has been the hottest temperatures I have ever had to endure.

First round of blocking is done, Time for more primer.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 614
  • 009.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 621
  • 008.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 610
  • 007.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 618
  • 006.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 620
  • 005.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 611
  • 004.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 626
  • 003.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 612
  • 002.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 619
a few more. Sorry, Its tight in the garage.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 611
  • 011.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 614
4bbl swap is done. 73-340 intake and a Edelbrock 600 for now.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 586
  • 003.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 569
Thanks, Just back in from the garage. 4 more coats of high build on her. I'll give it s while to harden while I prep the jams.

Day off from work today. To bad its raining. I was going to prime the door jams but there not enough room in the garage. I did manage to get a few small spots I missed before blocked out and reprimed last night. I can start blacking it out with 220 next week.

Thanks, Just back in from the garage. 4 more coats of high build on her. I'll give it s while to harden while I prep the jams.

Looking great Adam, a little at a time here also :happy1:
All the last 4 coats have shrunk and will be a good block down I think :cheers:
We could use some rain here, REAL DRY :shaking2:

Mike, we needed the rain pretty bad to. Yup, Plenty of time for the primer to shrink. Im going to try and get it blocked out to 320 before it gets cold, reprime it then let it sit the winter before wet sanding it to 600. Then I'll jam it here and take it to my friends shop to finish the color.

Mike, we needed the rain pretty bad to. Yup, Plenty of time for the primer to shrink. Im going to try and get it blocked out to 320 before it gets cold, reprime it then let it sit the winter before wet sanding it to 600. Then I'll jam it here and take it to my friends shop to finish the color.

It would be so cool to see that paint mix and spay on Video Adam, I know and seen allot of your work, My shoulder gives out doing the sweeps holding the gun up and pointed, Sounds like you have a super plan to look forward to this year :cheers:

No room for priming the jambs??!! Crap you must have a really narrow garage like mine. I think I have 12 ft total width. Maybe take the doors off to prime the jambs if the weather persists on being wet.I know,I know.Aligning doors be a pain in the arse...I have developed a trick for it. I wrap a ratchet strap around the door from bottom to top,and then loop it through my engine hoists hook. Jack the hoist up until the slack is gone and then any further adjustments can be done with either the hoist or the ratchet strap.More work than just rolling it out of the shop I know,but this trick worked out well for aligning the doors on my GM p/u. For some stupid reason GM decided to weld the hinges on,no room for adjustment but I cheated by jacking the door higher than needed to compensate for the droop that comes eventually on these trucks.Essentially I guess I bent the hinges,but the door now lines up and closes nice!

got bored, sprayed the trunk and engine compartment jams

I also found a few spots I need to fix. It never ends !

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 463
  • 004.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 464
  • 005.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 469
  • 006.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 460
-
Back