'73 Duster side moldings

-

69bronzeT5

My wife's car is faster.
Reaction score
I have the "protective side moldings" on my '73 Duster. How are they held on? Are there holes in the sheetmetal?

Well, I am pretty sure mine had that, previous owner took them up. Though there are no holes and there is adhesive stuck on the side of the car. So I am taking an educated guess in saying that it is just adhesive.

On the two that used to be on my car there were clips in the trim piece that clipped into studs that were on the rocker panels of the car. If you have a vinyl top I believe they're the same time of studs that the trim pieces clip onto.
I would imagine that the factory ones are like these and aftermarket or dealer installed were glued on. FWIW pretty much everything on newer cars is held on by adhesive.
Here's a picture of what they looked like on mine.
-Jon

c7_3.jpg

I'm thinking about the moldings that basically run down the side body line. I hope they are adhesive. That'll save me a crap load of money when I get it painted!

I'm thinking about the moldings that basically run down the side body line. I hope they are adhesive. That'll save me a crap load of money when I get it painted!

Factory bodyside mouldings were vinyl and held on with 2-sided (adhesive) tape. So, you should be ok.
Dallas

here is my 73 duster with that molding down the side...

it is held on by adhesive...i want to pull it off too...just have not done it yet.

That's awesome! That'll save me money when I get it painted. That means all I have to do is get the vinyl top trim holes filled in and then I can get paint on it.:cheers:

-
Back