'73 Scamp Slow Build

-
Like zkx14 said, you're not far from Oakland...... Someone will give you cash for them wheels!!!!

SCORE! Just picked up brand new ceramic coated Doug's headers for $502 out the door! Used the 20% discount on autozone only to find out they wont ship to California smog-nazi land. Not wanting to give up on that price, I went to summit and asked if they could price match with the discount, and they did, free shipping, tax free. Love those guys, they never cease to fail and amaze me. Car comes back from my buddy's shop today; let him install all of the new front end suspension and steering components as I just don't have time lately and it wont stop raining. Can't wait to see how it drives when I pick it up after work with the new alignment.

SCORE! Just picked up brand new ceramic coated Doug's headers for $502 out the door! Used the 20% discount on autozone only to find out they wont ship to California smog-nazi land. Not wanting to give up on that price, I went to summit and asked if they could price match with the discount, and they did, free shipping, tax free. Love those guys, they never cease to fail and amaze me. Car comes back from my buddy's shop today; let him install all of the new front end suspension and steering components as I just don't have time lately and it wont stop raining. Can't wait to see how it drives when I pick it up after work with the new alignment.
Good deal right there. Summit is great.

Hey all, it's been awhile. I just picked up '73 Scamp for 2800 bucks; have been looking for a fairly clean A-body for a long while and this one showed up locally on craigslist.

Is a big bolt pattern car with power brakes and disks in front, but sadly a 7 1/4 rear end, no idea what rear gear is in it. 318 with a tf 904, an eddy performer mani and 1406 600cfm vac sec carb, crap 2 inch dual exhaust, and HORRID 20 inch donk wheels on hub adapters. I already ordered a set of some cheap, but nice looking 15x7, 4.25 bs wheels off summit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-141h5765gm6 and some 225/60 15 all seasons, it should look MUCH better afterwards.

Luckily other than that, it's an early 73 car and it didn't get the heavy 5 mph shock bumpers. The interior is pretty clean and is has virtually no rust except just one tiny 1/8 inch hole at the bottom of the passenger a-pillar, gotta love Cali cars.

Here are some pictures of when I picked it up.
View attachment 1715011382

View attachment 1715011383

View attachment 1715011384

View attachment 1715011385

View attachment 1715011386

The trip home
View attachment 1715011387

Decided to see how good this old paint was. The next day I clay bar'd, cut, buffed and waxed her, the results were more than what I expected.

She was really dirty haha.
View attachment 1715011388

Before
View attachment 1715011389

After
View attachment 1715011390

Damn it's amazing what a little elbow grease will do. The color is literally a shade darker.

There after I fixed a few little things, she didn't pick up that well and the trans kick down didn't seem to work right. Ended up pickin up who knows how much horsepower because numbnuts who had it before me didn't set the throttle right, damn thing was only opening the butterflies about 60% with the pedal to the floor, and the kick down adjustment was barely engaging with the throttle applied. I reset everything and am happy to say she scoots a whole lot better than before haha!

Plans right now are to remove the ugly bumper stops, moldings, and all the chrome trim besides what surrounds the glass. I think that junks gaudy as hell and belongs on a caddy. Then I am going to go through all the suspension and brakes to make the car roadworthy again, I don't know if it's those stupid donks or bad alignment, but this thing is sketchy as hell on the freeway doing 60, it's all over the damn road haha.
Shined up nice! Good solid car. Love the Scamps! Mine's a Brougham.

It's been awhile, but I have been busy! I guess I'll go in order.

So I decided to clean this nasty engine bay.
20170212_153516_zpshbreagir.jpg

After, much better.
20170212_174616_zps4jatnzje.jpg

Best shipments are ones from Summit! Also got new mounts and a torque strap from Schumacher to replace the old ones for installing the Doug's headers.
41028_zpsunzlgji3.jpe

20170218_133402_zpsqgjd8dfj.jpg

Got these M/T valve covers from a fellow FABO member and started cleaning them up, will end up putting them on sometime soon when I get them looking pretty.
20170218_133504_zpsmdjexja6.jpg

For a compact car in its day, it's still massive compared to modern compact cars
20170218_133701_zpsikydj9pk.jpg

And so it begins, oh the joy of putting headers into A-bodies! So what do you do with a old 318? Put headers way too good for it on it! Started with quality Doug's headers haha.
20170218_151844_zpso9a5d1vo.jpg

Drained fluids and raised the motor up.
20170218_214137_zps8l9j4sfz.jpg

6AM and they are finally in, started at 1PM the day before. Tightening those God forsaken engine mounts to the block took a good chunk of it! No space to work when the motor is lowered into the position you want with the headers in the way.
20170219_033447_zpsklxs8xvx.jpg

20170219_005046_zpsjs3lsyrb.jpg

20170219_031630_zpsz68trr2m.jpg

I guess I got lucky, I had no clearance issues, but damn, these things fit TIGHT. Following pictures show whoever what you might see if you're lucky to not have gotten a Monday or Friday car haha!
20170219_031658_zpsw6y9dqbv.jpg

20170219_031732_zpsyei3au1z.jpg

20170219_031747_zpstep0ndsw.jpg

20170219_031845_zpssqkow0ub.jpg

20170219_032001_zpslvsxzaul.jpg

20170219_032027_zpsdpdupvht.jpg

20170219_032058_zps3kmbdt9p.jpg

20170219_033810_zpswqsclugt.jpg

Threw on the new MSD wires and here's a shot of how she looks at the moment, I could say I am satisfied.
20170219_153204_zpshgp0emyg.jpg

Butt dyno says I picked about 2000hp.. just kidding, feels like about 20 ish more, she will spin well into second from a dead stop, something she couldn't do before. Here's a quick pull after everything was buttoned up, I couldn't wait for exhaust to drive it haha. Scared a few people for fun, maybe accidentally made one of them spill a drink LOL.

Last edited:
Well since day one I said, I'm going to get new wheels and tires on this things asap! The night I came home with the car I hopped on summit and this is what I got. Tires should be here Tuesday:)
Wheel specs
15x7 4.25 back spacing
Tires are a 225/60/15
Went with a square set up for now that way I can rotate them. Once I get some power in the car I'll get something a bit beefier. As for the old donks if anyone wants them you can have them. If no one gets them by Tuesday when the tires arive I might just do a burnout till they are showing the cords. I'll be sure to take a video for you guys haha.

View attachment 1715011657
Sweet car,ugly wheels...lol...Those wheels are awesome,at 83 plus change.... I would simply hot rod,what you have off of a stock 340 setup.Drive the tires bald,go back for more....

It's been awhile, but I have been busy! I guess I'll go in order.

So I decided to clean this nasty engine bay.
View attachment 1715019837

After, much better.
View attachment 1715019838

Best shipments are ones from Summit! Also got new mounts and a torque strap from Schumacher to replace the old ones for installing the Doug's headers.
View attachment 1715019839

View attachment 1715019840

Got these M/T valve covers from a fellow FABO member and started cleaning them up, will end up putting them on sometime soon when I get them looking pretty.
View attachment 1715019841

For a compact car in its day, it's still massive compared to modern compact cars
View attachment 1715019842

And so it begins, oh the joy of putting headers into A-bodies! So what do you do with a old 318? Put headers way too good for it on it! Started with quality Doug's headers haha.
View attachment 1715019843

Drained fluids and raised the motor up.
View attachment 1715019844

6AM and they are finally in, started at 1PM the day before. Tightening those God forsaken engine mounts to the block took a good chunk of it! No space to work when the motor is lowered into the position you want with the headers in the way.
View attachment 1715019845

View attachment 1715019846

View attachment 1715019847

I guess I got lucky, I had no clearance issues, but damn, these things fit TIGHT. Following pictures show whoever what you might see if you're lucky to not have gotten a Monday or Friday car haha!
View attachment 1715019848

View attachment 1715019849

View attachment 1715019850

View attachment 1715019851

View attachment 1715019852

View attachment 1715019853

View attachment 1715019854

View attachment 1715019855

Threw on the new MSD wires and here's a shot of how she looks at the moment, I could say I am satisfied.
View attachment 1715019856

Butt dyno says I picked about 2000hp.. just kidding, feels like about 20 ish more, she will spin well into second from a dead stop, something she couldn't do before. Here's a quick pull after everything was buttoned up, I couldn't wait for exhaust to drive it haha. Scared a few people for fun, maybe accidentally made one of them spill a drink LOL.

You, did fine..... Installing Flowtech headers....UGH! google it.....

If I were to do another set of headers, I would DEFINITELY not cheap out and buy a set of Flowtechs!!!!! I had those on my 73 Dart, and flattened the front pipes within a couple weeks...... Your car is looking great in the short amount of time you've had it...... Looks like your ignition module did the same thing mine did, puked out all its insulation on the fenderwell!!!

Nice work! What challenges did you have removing the old exhaust manifolds? Many broken studs?

Looks like your ignition module did the same thing mine did, puked out all its insulation on the fenderwell!!!

Haha, I know, it will all be gone within the week as I ended up getting Trailbeast's HEI setup.

Nice work! What challenges did you have removing the old exhaust manifolds? Many broken studs?

Thanks! I let everything soak in WD40 for about an hour before I started taking it all off, wasn't too bad, aside from the rear driver stud because the previous owner looks to have broken it and the coolant hole was filled with RTV lol. Luckily nothing leaks.

Last edited:
Small update, bought TrailBeast's HEI conversion and distributor and put it in last weekend, YEEZUS, now that good **** made a difference! Didn't realize how worn out the old ignition system was. Idles damn smooth and the drivabilty of the car is immensely better. That on top of his re-curved distributor, the car is a treat to drive now. Super simple install, seriously, just 2 wires, and much cleaner looking too. Also got around to lowering the front end a bit. Here's a few pictures of the install and a quick vid.

20170311_123131_zpsfa2jgsvx.jpg

Bye bye rats nest
20170311_145033_zpsoydutsin.jpg

Hello new sweetness
Screenshot_2017-03-11-19-49-42_zpsstydfjd7.png

Small update, bought TrailBeast's HEI conversion and distributor and put it in last weekend, YEEZUS, now that good **** made a difference! Didn't realize how worn out the old ignition system was. Idles damn smooth and the drivabilty of the car is immensely better. That on top of his re-curved distributor, the car is a treat to drive now. Super simple install, seriously, just 2 wires, and much cleaner looking too. Also got around to lowering the front end a bit. Here's a few pictures of the install and a quick vid.

WHAT!, no tire smoke for us?:D
Glad you are happy with your new ignition.
It's hard to convince someone of the differences those sets make over a stock distributor and ignition, as they pretty much have to see and feel it for themselves.
Thanks for the update.

WHAT!, no tire smoke for us?:D
Glad you are happy with your new ignition.
It's hard to convince someone of the differences those sets make over a stock distributor and ignition, as they pretty much have to see and feel it for themselves.
Thanks for the update.

It really is amazing what it does, thanks for providing us with a great product! Re-timed the distributor yesterday to about 35-36 degrees and she seems to really like it. And the vacuum advance is just right where you put it, somewhere around 50 degrees when base timing is set at 15.

Tiny update, finally got around to have some friggin time to get the exhaust done (damn you rain and 9 to 5's!) ooooh how she sings now.. Loving the clearance, h-pipe, dynomax race bullets, turn downs.

Maybe I'll post a "sound test" video sometime this week . . .

Last edited:
Well things are happening again, scored a complete 8 1/4 rear from a 73 duster! Has 2.45s which will be soon changed out for better gears and proper carrier.
mCJOSZ1.jpg

3.21 gears and trac lok are on the way as well as a install kit and new axle shaft bearings.

And all ridiculously cheaper than the stupid prices people are charging in the bay area (1000+) for a 8 3/4 rear of unknown history with open carriers and freeway gears.

Can't wait to leave proper tire marks on the pavement lol.

Sweet ride, making great progress......
P.S.
Thank you for changing those rims!

-
Back