Slow build 71 Scamp 440

-
Hey Kim. It may have been a rookie response when I first got into the game. I’ve learned along the way. The crank I have is cast. Hoping to have it all back next week.
Ok then u should get the external balance B&M flex plate to make balancing simple. Or the weighted converter. Kim

Ok then u should get the external balance B&M flex plate to make balancing simple. Or the weighted converter. Kim

The flex plate is with the rotating assembly getting balanced. I’ll be looking at the converter “3000 stall” after I try my hand at rebuilding a 727. Kinda excited about opening the magic box. ;-) I should start looking for that converter now

It's the little things that finish up the. projects. ID tags on with the snubber. This puppy is ready to go in the spring.
I guess I could clean up the pig a bit and spry the drums. We'll see. Thanks National Moparts

tempImage11GHHj.png

tempImageUeJvNl.png

Ok...... Rotating assembly is back from the machinist. Lots of work done. The crank has seen a lot of welding adding material (weight). There was also a lot of shaving on some of the counter weights. The flex plate was also interesting as they welded in a plate to one of the 4 curved openings. I'm told now I'll be looking for a neutral balance converter. (3000 stall). We have a converter shop in the city that rebuilds them at an amazing price point and builds to spec! The rods and pistons had very minimal work needed. 3 rods needed a bit of attention to the sizing and one small end needed a hair removed. Thanks @oldkimmer I'll try and get photos up. The crank doesn't look pretty now but it's all balanced out. I guess that's the game you play when using lighter pistons in place of heavier ones. On the head front I called Todd Marsh at Marsh Performance and I have decided to go with a set of Sidewinders with some custom work done to them. I'm driving through Linwood NC in a couple of weeks and will pick a set up.
Right now I'm kinda stuck on what to get. Bowl work only is around 1475 a pair and some port work would bump the price up about 400. I'm thinking that could be the ticket. Full port work at around 2400 seem to be overkill for a non track car. What do you guys think? Todd is also going to match up a cam, springs and lifters to meet my goal of 500+ HP. The photo is what I sent him with the setup and current build. The cam is still up in the air but he's got some suggestions.

IMG_8730.jpg

Last edited:
If anyones watching this thread. What do you think about head setup.
Sidewinder heads. Bowl blend, street port or full port for my setup.
I'm thinking the full port is way over kill for a non track car. So I'm stuck
contemplating with a bowl blend or a street port.
There is a difference of about 400.00 between the levels.

I gotta tell ya though that the flex plate mod kinda gives me the willie’s. kim

I hear Yha. The boys have been at it for a long time. I’m going to throw so trust at them. Todd suggested a bunch of things. Getting to 500+ should be easy with a street port but the bottle neck is in my rockers. I can future proof and get the street port. Upgrade my rockers when I find a decent set. It’s exciting times.

If you don't have the heads yet. the Trick Flow 240 with Hughes rockers would be a better choice and put the 440 over 500hp.

If you don't have the heads yet. the Trick Flow 240 with Hughes rockers would be a better choice and put the 440 over 500hp.
I would definitely love a set of those don't get me wrong. The cost is a bit prohibitive. We're double the price and after exchange yikes. But I get that's the desirable combo. Mancini even has them in stock.

The road trip begins today. First stop Mancini Racing for a few odds and ends. After that stop we’ll head down to Memphis stoping in Cincinnati for the night. Then start sliding over to Linwood to see Todd Marsh!

Well we just got back from our road trip. 4860KM worth. Made a few stops for parts along the way. Mancini's for some odds and ends and Marsh Performance for some Sidewinders! It was such a long trip we decided to tuck them in for the night. LOL *Understanding wife.

tempImageqcjE6t.png

tempImageJMEyL8.png

tempImagedxbwXW.png

Few more odds and ends arrived.
Have a very large project starting next week. We’re insulating the garage and heating it. This will allow me to have a spot to tinker throughout the year. After that gets done I’ll start putting the engine together. Then I’ll need to fab up a run stand to break it in.

IMG_9027.jpeg

OK cam arrived and we’ll start assembling hopefully this week. Lots of cam and I should’ve went with one of the nostalgia cams. This folks is why you don’t buy engine parts when drinking. 16 days dry now. Lol
Now to make this work properly.

IMG_0515.jpeg

IMG_0638.jpeg

Alright we started on the rotating assembly. We hit a major snag and she’ll be on pause for an indefinite time while I check my options. This is why you always always always check to make sure the machinist did his job. I didn’t have the tools to do this but guess what I’ll be doing going forward. Now to deal with my 30 over block that’s actually 60. I will however get the rear end installed with the assumption that a V8 install is still on the books. FML LOL

Alright we started on the rotating assembly. We hit a major snag and she’ll be on pause for an indefinite time while I check my options. This is why you always always always check to make sure the machinist did his job. I didn’t have the tools to do this but guess what I’ll be doing going forward. Now to deal with my 30 over block that’s actually 60. I will however get the rear end installed with the assumption that a V8 install is still on the books. FML LOL
Oh ****, I'm sorry to hear that. I had my engine take a crap on the Dyno because someone I paid to assemble it wasn't paying attention much.
It's built by me now, thankful to be a engine machinist now so that helps big .

Well I have two choices now. Build a 60 over (cheapest route) or grab another 30 over block. Currently hunting for 60 over KB’s. See what happens. My “New” machinist came over today to put the nail in the coffin of my current build. I told him it just didn’t seem right, feel right and way to much play. He came over with his measuring tools and confirmed. Boy those 30 over pistons fit real well in them holes. Thought the gap look overly large. Lol
Pulled all the pistons and just going to sit on it for a bit.

IMG_0789.jpeg

Well I have two choices now. Build a 60 over (cheapest route) or grab another 30 over block. Currently hunting for 60 over KB’s. See what happens. My “New” machinist came over today to put the nail in the coffin of my current build. I told him it just didn’t seem right, feel right and way to much play. He came over with his measuring tools and confirmed. Boy those 30 over pistons fit real well in them holes. Thought the gap look overly large. Lol
Pulled all the pistons and just going to sit on it for a bit.

View attachment 1716103449
Plenty of people run .060 with no problems.

-
Back