74 Dart ignition buzzer

-
Reaction score
Finishing up a restoration on a 1974 Dart Swinger. Been driving around shop no problem. Now when I crank it up and put in any gear but neutral the ignition buzzer is singing. What’s going on? Is the shift lever messed up or key ignition? Lost.

I’m not sure if the 74 is different, but on my 71 Demon there is a little switch in the column that is activated by the key being inserted into the ignition. This is then looking for a ground thru the drivers side door jamb switch. Anywhere from the buzzer in the horn relay and the door switch it gets a ground will cause it to buzz with the door closed. I can’t explain it not buzzing in neutral.

I’m not sure if the 74 is different, but on my 71 Demon there is a little switch in the column that is activated by the key being inserted into the ignition. This is then looking for a ground thru the drivers side door jamb switch. Anywhere from the buzzer in the horn relay and the door switch it gets a ground will cause it to buzz with the door closed. I can’t explain it not buzzing in neutral.
Thanks. i have installed new door switches but we took them completely out and its still singing a tune. Ive downloaded the complete wiring schmatic and cant figure this one out.

74 model year has some type of seat belt interlock device. There is a diagram floating around to bypass that system...

Could be the problem?

What I found was to unplug the seat underneath. I’ll definitely give that a try in the morning.

Also find and bypass the underhood interlock. It is a box about the size of a horn relay, in the engine bay, with a big red reset button. There are two yellow or yellow wires leading to it which are your start circuit. Jumper them together permanently.

The seatbelt interlock ( yellow wires through a switch ) prevents start. I can't imagine that being the root cause here. I'll bet it has already been bypassed.
The switches in the front seats seem more likely.
Let us know what you find. Good luck

^^That is true. I was referring to possible future problems LOL^^

-
Back