74 Dart Sport Frankenstein

-
I found a complete 1964 413 big block so I'm going to get it for the crank and rods. Any value in the rest of the motor?

What color is this car? I've seen a couple Mopars painted like this.

Attachments

• Yellow Mopar.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 296
The only one I know of is on the pig, but there's bound to be something stamped into the housing...do you need to know some measurements?

I have the dimensions below. I can't figure out what I actually have without knowing if there are casting numbers on the housing. There is no carrier assembly or pig as you called it.

Mine still has the brake pads (no drums) on it so it is hard to get exact measurements. This is what I could get.

54-1/2" or 54-5/8" to the outside flanges
44-1/2" to centerline of perches, but the perches are missing but welds are there.

Attachments

• rearend.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 300
Need some ideas on how to pull this donor 413 out of this '64 New Yorker. It looks like dropping it out the bottom is an option. I've never done it this way before so I don't want to get crushed in the process.

Is there a step by step somewhere?

413 Donor (64 New Yorker) for crank & rods.

Attachments

• 64newyorker.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 250
  • 413motor.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 250
  • 019.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 243
  • 018.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 243
  • 056.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 248
I wasn't too happy with the inside of the 64 New Yorker motor so I went and found another 413 with only 58,565 miles on it. Crank and rods look new. Crank is forged but rods are cast. Oh well, can't have it all.

Attachments

• 060.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 058.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 243
  • 055.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 254
Spent last week and made a tour of Texas looking for parts that I found on internet and salvage yards. Lubbock, Dallas, Houston, Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Abilene and back. Not too much buying due to prices of the stuff but it was fun anyway. I did get some nice bench seats. Had my eye on a perfect hood and bumper but I missed out to someone during the Labor Day 50% off sale at Pick-n-Pull. I had been watching this hood for a few months. My loss.

Attachments

• 057.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 250
Nice project you have working here. My first car was a '74 Dart Sport with a 318 / 4bbl. Oh, I think that color from that pic above is L5 Butterscotch.

Been sidetracked with changing the motor in my truck. It threw a rod and I've been busy with that one.

I finally got the 489 8-3/4" out of a B-body and I'm ready to shorten the axles. I have an A-body housing so it doesn't need to be shortened. Where is a good reputable place that I can trust to do this work? Local guys send axles off but they tell me it's a trade secret where they send them...... :wack:

How do you think this guy lowered his ride? I've been trying to figure that one out.

Attachments

• dodge-dart-71-wallpaper.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 211
Custom k-member -fabricated a arms maybe even has mustang spindles.you can see the fabed up engine support hanging low common for mounting big blocks or hemi .puts everything lower so you can run 2-4bbls with air cleaner and close the hood!

I Think I would have pulled the forged crank and had it checked anyway. Were the pistons seized in the 1'st engine?:coffee2:

I Think I would have pulled the forged crank and had it checked anyway. Were the pistons seized in the 1'st engine?:coffee2:

I did pull the crank from the 1st engine, I have two 413 forged cranks now. The pistons were seized and I cut the forged rods off to get the crank out. :wack: I know where another 64 New Yorker is sitting if I really want some forged rods. Kinda sucked but I couldn't get them unfrozen to move the crank around. It soaked for over 3 weeks with Mystery Oil and penetrating oil.

Both cranks are going to get checked out before I pick which one I will use.

:happy1:OO-ooh boy!

The cost for modding that 9 1/4" to fit the car vs. buying an 8 3/4" might be a toss up...really depends on the availability to your locale. I know 9 1/4"s are still used in the late model trucks, so if you want to pick up a used set of gears on a trac loc diff, you can find them relatively easily...3.55s, 3.73s, 3.92s. But, I don't know how much you'll spend on the axles.

So here's what I have right now. I recently purchased two 8-3/4 rear ends. One is an A-Body 741 out of a '70 Duster and the other is a C-Body 489 out of a '72 Newport. I am going to put the 489 in the A-Body housing and buy some Dr. Diff axles for it. Or, I guess I could get the C-Body axles shortened. Looks like the Dr. Diff axles are ~$300.

What would it cost to shorten the C-Body axles and where can I send them to get them done?

Btw, I have a B-Body 8-3/4 housing if anyone needs it.

This is why I sold it. I'll open a new thread for the 70 Duster.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 004.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 005.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 003.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 118
-
Back