74 Dart Sport No Start Issue

-

Gene8013

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 74 Dart Sport that decided it didnt want to start today. I believe there is an issue between the ignition switch and ballast resistor. I was able to start her by bypassing it by connecting a wire to to ballast and possitve of the battery. However that is a temporary thing. Any ideas? I know ignition switch isnt bad. That was replaced a while ago.

When you put the key to run, does the radio work? heater blower?etc?
If yes, then either the ballast is bad or the power to the ballast.
Since you have a jumper, jumper across the ballast from the blue wire; to both the coil and to the ecu. If it runs , one side or the other of the ballast is bad.
Or if you have a 12 volt test light pull the end off the ballast with the blue wire/ ignition feed; and probe it with the key in run. If it lights, replace the ballast.

Ok. Hard to explain. I went to crank her over and she sound like wanted to but wouldnt hold after i released the key. We attached a wired to the ballast and the poositive of the battery and she fired right up. So there is a short somewhere we think

Oh hell. I'm an idiot. I didnt see that post. My bad. I have an other ballast resistor i can try first

I'll replace it tomorrow. Hopefully thats the culprit. Thank you. However if not. What are my other options

That makes sense then......I was helping Gene today with that problem, when you turn the key off the car stays running until you pull the wire of the battery..... I should have known better and brought my stupid light with me..... but I went over to help him time the engine and adjust the carb. When this problem fell in our lap we will fix it tomorrow and see what happens.....

OK. Hard to explain. I went to crank her over and she sound like wanted to but wouldn't hold after i released the key. We attached a wired to the ballast and the positive of the battery and she fired right up. So there is a short somewhere we think

As said, classic ballast resistor issue. If it starts and runs, then dies when you release the key, it's most likely the problem.

Expanded update to last post. So we found some connections that came apart and a fried wire and housing bundle for main power cluster connector to the fire wall. When i say fried i mean partially melted connector. You the three that connect to fire wall. The middle one. But all good now

-
Back