74 dodge dart tranny issues

-
Reaction score
I just got my 74 dodge dart custom. It has a 318 in it and a 3 speed auto trans. Sometimes when your driving it, it slips out of gear It does it worse when its cold. Fluid is full and looks good. Any suggestions or does it just need a new tranny? also is a 4 speed auto trans an easy swap. If I have to replace, may as well upgrade. :)

DUH!! I don't know how I thought you have a 3 speed manual but somehow I got mixed up. Must have been the cold medicine with Codeine. LOL

Ignore my other replies cause I was thinking you had a manual trans. If and automatic looses pressure and drops out of gear going down the road that's not good at all. You can try a new filter and fluid as 70AAR said and see what happens. If that don't help it's time to rebuild it.

Never swapped to a 4 spd so I can't say how much work it is but I'm sure it'll cost you allot cause A-body 4 speeds transmissions are pretty pricey. Then you need a shifter and linkage, bellhousing, pressure plate, clutch, different driveshaft, and pedal and linkage assemblies. Probably some other things I'm forgetting too.

its set up from the factory, never been messed with as far as I know, its all stock. Its not as bad when its fully warmed up but still slips. I was hoping of some kinda quick fix :)

The only 4-speed overdrive (non-electronic) automatics that bolt up to your engine are the A-500 (based on the small, 904 3-speed) and A-518 (based on the larger, 727 3-speed) series out of trucks. They are good transmissions, but the overdrive units are in the tailshaft and are HUGE.... so big, in fact, that while you CAN put one behind a 318 in an A Body, it requires cutting the floorpan extensively, and completely re-configuring the rear crossmember (tranny mount crossmember.)

It's not a job for the faint-of-heart.... and whether it's worth it, is up to the individual.

An alternative plan is to install an 8.75" rear end, which has a drop-out center section, with ratios available down to 2.73:1, I believe. Get a third member with those gears and some 29" tall tires on the back, and you won't miss an overdrive. That combination should yield 75 mph at about 2,500 rpm, including converter "slip."

Changing final drive ratios is a snap in a car with an 8.75" rear.

100_3240-2.jpg

how about changing the filter and fluid and adjusting the bands???

the overdrive you want is a 42rh which is based on a 904, the 46rh is based on the 727. the last year it was made was 1995...after that they were electronically shifted.

dont know what year they first came out.

but as Bill said above it will take some cutting to get it to fit.

>>>>"42rh which is based on a 904"<<<

Is that a different name for an "A-500"? Are there any differences?

Bill the 42rh is another name for an A-500. It's the technical name. The A-500 is the model number and the 42rh is the torque factor rating of it. Same goes for the A-518 but it has 2 torque ratings/versions. The 46RH(E) and 47RH(E). The 46RH(E) is used behind standard duty gasoline pickups and the 47RH(E) is used behind the Cummins diesels and could be optioned for hd gas trucks.

Dang; now, where did I put those special tools "3380" and "3705".... had them here just a minute ago....

I'd sure like to talk to those guys who write that stuff.... just for 5 minutes!

I know a GOOD bail/bondsman....:angry7:

Yeah that's the way factory service manuals were written back then. They were for factory techs that had access to those tools. Sorry, I didn't notice it mentioned using their special adapters of the day or I would have added that I just use a inch lb. torque wrench and a 8 point socket. Does the same job.

-
Back