74 duster

-

furyfrank

Reaction score
I have a 74 duster with 3 speed manual on column and the key is stuck in the ignition and will not lock the steering wheel or move to lock position ?

is the shifter in the reverse or 2nd gear position. It has to be "UP" and appear like a auto shifter in park would to release the key and lock the steering wheel.

If it is "down" in the 1st or 3 rd or N position, it will have symptoms as you describe

This isn't one of those cars where you had to push in a button or move a small lever under or on one side of the column to lock the wheel and then get the key out?

wow - it's still in there?!? can you turn the key forward or backward? any chance you can post a few pics (may not help but I guess it can't hurt...)

The key turns and starts the car fine but will not go into lock position to remove key.

Just a update, I found the owners manual and it shows a lever to depress to take out the key, but guess what I looked and couldn't find a lever. I guess I am going to pull the steering wheel and see what is up with the switch. Has anyone pulled the steering wheel and any tips about pulling it ?

If you see the little hole in the column where the unlock pin goes (assumed to be broken/missing), perhaps a tickle with a small pin-tool will release it?
I had a 73 and a 74, but both with autos. The interlock button was close to the ignition sw. but on top IIRC. Also IIRC it was still a more-or-less two-handed deal.
I hated those and ripped 'em out ASAP. I put in my own stinking anti-theft system. I park my car almost anywhere now and leave the windows part-way down, and the doors unlocked. It's never gone missing.

Just a update, I found the owners manual and it shows a lever to depress to take out the key, but guess what I looked and couldn't find a lever. I guess I am going to pull the steering wheel and see what is up with the switch. Has anyone pulled the steering wheel and any tips about pulling it ?
Geee..... who would have ever thought of that? LOL

IIRC, it is on the lower right side of the column, up just behind the steering wheel and in front of the key area. It ain't very big and is triangular. It is essentially the end of a metal lever sticking out of the column and one corner bent over about 90 degrees into a triangular shape.

Got the column apart and now have to figure out how to get that stupid locking disc with the notches off to get to the ignition switch, it looks like it is pressed on, any ideas ? And there is no lever to get the key out, it is missing.

Anyone have a picture or diagram on how the lever is connected to the ignition switch ? I have looked around and cannot find one.

I think I got if fixed took the steering wheel apart and took out that stupid locking mechanism and the key goes into lock and comes out.

cool.. that was fun huh? hey, you got it figured out.. nice. I'll bet it feels pretty darn good too.

Yes I am Polish and don't let something beat me, I like people to think that we are stupid.:wack:

Just a update got everything together and the car goes into neutral,first,second and third but not into reverse any thoughts ?

Adjust the linkage first; it might just be off a hair. See if you can push the shift level up and down a bit by holding back on it, hold it a few seconds at each small increment of movement, and see if you can get reverse with the lever anywhere above or below. If you do get reverse, then it is an adjustment. If no reverse anywhere, then make sure the kickdown linkage is in place and adjusted right, to make sure the internal pressure is not too low.

-
Back