74 power wagon dream truck...

-
I thought hey I'd go buy a new three prong sensor instead of cleaning up that old one... I looked them up and they're 30 bucks...
I'll scrub the old one....

Yes!.. things are starting to come together and I'm getting more broke by the minute LOL.. another catch 20 I have lots of time off to get some of this work done like rebuilding the transmission and getting the engine together but on the other hand that stops all the funds... It seems like I have one or the other time or money but not both..:BangHead:...
Man, I either have More work than I can do, or NONE! and that usually starts before Thanksgiving until after New Year ( sometimes tax time)

PXL_20211010_205804567.jpg
PXL_20211010_211006989.jpg
PXL_20211010_211013218.jpg
PXL_20211010_222618218.jpg

Got some parts cleaned up but still need to paint them. I tried to put the levers on and the yoke but they didn't match the nice paint so I'm going to get them painted before I put them on...

Nice and clean.
I hate cleaning parts, but its part of the game.

Nice and clean.
I hate cleaning parts, but its part of the game.
Thanks you!...
I don't like cleaning the parts either but even more I like when they're clean LOL..
It's really the name of the game in restoration. Sometimes I think about just opening a business with a parts cleaner and a sandblaster ....
Like I was saying there I got the transmission all looking good and cleaned up the shift lever and the output carrier and put them on and they looked out of place with the rest of the transmission. So I took them off and when I get to painting stuff I'll paint them and put the back on...

Thanks you!...
I don't like cleaning the parts either but even more I like when they're clean LOL..
It's really the name of the game in restoration. Sometimes I think about just opening a business with a parts cleaner and a sandblaster ....
Like I was saying there I got the transmission all looking good and cleaned up the shift lever and the output carrier and put them on and they looked out of place with the rest of the transmission. So I took them off and when I get to painting stuff I'll paint them and put the back on...
No doubt, a guy offered me his sandblast, powder coat business, the last time I took something down to him. Building, tools ovens ect.
He blasts parts for me, cheaper than I can buy the sand for, plus I don't have sand in my ears and britches.
I don't think there is alot of money to be made doing it.

The last part I had him do was a rail-road conductor stool from about WWII or maybe even older, he blasted and coated it for me for $0.
I guess over the years I have sent alot of business to him.
The job I had him do before that was a set of aluminum slot rims, that were nasty corroded. He done them for $20. I told him when I picked the parts up that was too cheap, he just laughed and said, I bring him alot of parts, never complain, and do not give him deadlines.

No doubt, a guy offered me his sandblast, powder coat business, the last time I took something down to him. Building, tools ovens ect.
He blasts parts for me, cheaper than I can buy the sand for, plus I don't have sand in my ears and britches.
I don't think there is alot of money to be made doing it.

The last part I had him do was a rail-road conductor stool from about WWII or maybe even older, he blasted and coated it for me for $0.
I guess over the years I have sent alot of business to him.
The job I had him do before that was a set of aluminum slot rims, that were nasty corroded. He done them for $20. I told him when I picked the parts up that was too cheap, he just laughed and said, I bring him alot of parts, never complain, and do not give him deadlines.
Yeah here in the big city these guys got more work than they can shake a stick at so they start charging whatever they want to and it gets kind of outrageous...
I'm caught between having no room and not having somewhere to put a blast cabinet and could have bought one several times over for what I've had done so far...

Next up the engine.. I have this weekend off so I should be able to get a good jump... I've been cleaning and collecting small parts and getting them laid out.
I'll pretty much start with getting the cam degreed..
Also I went to check progress on the body and paint on the cab and front clip..
The fenders and hood are looking close and they're blocking the cab. The cowl and valance that I had sand blasted are in primer.. the doors are still getting first run body work....
PXL_20211015_222842176.jpg
PXL_20211015_222859391.jpg
PXL_20211015_222909715.jpg

PXL_20211016_170610543.jpg
PXL_20211016_170620131.jpg
just getting started here. Put the cam in and it feels rather stiff but I feel it's this really sticky lubricant that I have. It's not sticking in any spot it's just not spinning freely but again the stuff is like paste. I put the trash plate on and just went ahead and use 17 and a half foot pounds which I believe is very close to 210 in pounds..

You math is correct, but most ft/lb torque wrenches are not accurate down that low.

Not a pro at this by any means but I've got at 100 each way 110.25 and at 50 each way 110.5 and at 20 each way 112.5? It calls for 108...
PXL_20211016_180309520.jpg
PXL_20211016_183740963.jpg
PXL_20211016_183949445.jpg

If my calculations are correct I think I might just let it fly at 2° advance..
Well triple R pointed out I believe my thinking was backwards and it needs to be the other way I was not thinking counterintuitive. 110 would be retarded what I'm looking for is the 108 or what it looks like if I advance it four degrees it will end up more like 106.5 which is better than 108.5 I think.. of course I'll confirm all this tomorrow when Oregon came opens up and I talk to Ken...
As for today I'm just going to go ahead and switch it around and check it again and I'll report back on that later..
After that I'll put the other head on and continue cleaning up the timing chain cover all the rockers and associated parts with that all need cleaning...
I can't find an oil slinger in my stash so I've got feelers out for that today. I'd like to get it locally so I can get the front of this buttoned up and start working on the windage tray oil pump and oil pan and stuff. The only reason I don't put the intake on today is because if I don't get the push rods I can take the lifters back out and still work on the oil pan...
One step forward to steps back LOL..
Oh I don't know if I didn't mention the pushrods they're too short..
Anyways I started this thread to get some action on the cam degree..
"Cam degree.. | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum" Cam degree..

Maybe I'm a freak, no, definitely I am a freak! I like cleaning parts and laying them out in order for reassembly. It puts my OCD in line!

Cley
LOL.. I absolutely love the clean parts all put in line as a matter of fact my OCD loves it...
I just wish I could put them in a magic box all dirty and scummy and pull them out of the magic box and lay them out all nice and perfect and clean.. and not have to scrub them with old toothbrushes and so forth with eye protection on because it's splattering all over my arms and shirt and getting everywhere LOL...

I have used thee dishwasher in the past! Just allow yourself time to run it empty a second time. It's the perfect crime!

Cley

Maybe find a house that's getting a renovated kitchen, see if they're tossing an old (but working) dishwasher. It'll probably be free, or at least cheap. Put that one in the garage just for cleaning parts.

I have used thee dishwasher in the past! Just allow yourself time to run it empty a second time. It's the perfect crime!

Cley
Apparently I'm not too good at these kinds of crimes LOL.. I don't think you've heard my Thanksgiving Day story?..
I was trying to put my harmonic balancer on and it wouldn't fit so I figured if I warmed it up a little bit and May go on and my wife heard the oven door open she goes what are you doing? I'm putting the harmonic balancer in the oven, and she said not with my Thanksgiving turkey or not!.. I had to resort to my oven the barbecue out on the back patio and set it on top of that with it on for a little bit to get it warmed up and I got it to go on...

Besides my engine builder coming up with an oil slinger all steps were pretty much backwards today... I did make the decision to leave the timing at 106.5..
I got the driver side head on and had a good surprise that I had forgot I had ARP bolts on that...
I got the crane roller rockers all spaced correctly torque down adjusted and when I ran them through a cycle and the tips were just about to roll off the end of the valve stem...:BangHead:... And of course shimming them just made them worse..
So I bust out my 273 adjustables and start cleaning those up... Of course crane was bought out by comp and they no longer make the locking adjusters... I foolishly sold my old 273 rockers that had them but I still had the box with a full set of old 273 adjusters. On one side I tried fitting the rockers on the passenger side and four of the adjusters were tight and for the adjusters were kind of loose so I went through my other adjusters and fitted some in that we're a little bit more snug.
Anyways I put those on and the sweep looked really good. These heads were set up originally with 273 adjusters anyways. Now I've got to back cut the underside to clearance so they don't hit the springs..
I finished cleaning up the other half of the adjusters and gave up for the day..
So in essence I really got nowhere and have a lot of work left to do to get back to where I was...
PXL_20211018_200309631.jpg

I tossed everything on just with a couple bolts holding the cover and the water pump on just for a quick picture but once I took it all apart I seen those rollers and just wasn't happy...
PXL_20211018_205235704.jpg

-
Back