74 power wagon dream truck...

-
PXL_20211020_214711354.jpg
PXL_20211020_214654536.jpg
PXL_20211020_214648472.jpg
PXL_20211020_214639934.jpg
PXL_20211020_214628656.jpg

Progress..

Going to look great my blue Dart was blue ROFL terrible paint job I inherited. They never finished sanding the Bondo and painted it lol. Your truck is going to be a sharp machine!

Going to look great my blue Dart was blue ROFL terrible paint job I inherited. They never finished sanding the Bondo and painted it lol. Your truck is going to be a sharp machine!
I'm trying to remain optimistic. It's just an old guy and his nephew in a Dusty old shop... It's going to be a single stage I know that. The good thing is is all the sheet metal was pretty damn straight and clean... So any Bondo we put on there is pretty darn thin and worst case scenario I figure if it just gets painted and covered for now I can redo over it another time to make it perfectly straight and not have to go through a mile of unknown Bondo...

Old guy and his nephew. it looks to me like the old guy is passing his knowledge and talent off to the nephew.
I think you picked the right shop and the truck will look great. I like seeing block sanders and a guide coat. :)

I got the weekend off so I'll make another push at the engine.. I would love to get it closed up and be able to be ready for paint later next week..

Can't find most of my bolts from taking the old engine apart. That and I don't want to use old nasty bolts. In particular the one for the oil pump. I'm going to go get a couple 2 inch grade 8 bolts. I don't remember the factory ones having washers? Just kind of that built-in washer on the head if I remember correctly? I plan on putting a washer but I'm not sure about a lock washer? A little blue loctite and 35 lb of torque..

Two steps forward one step back is the name of the game..
I got all the rockers set up side to side with shims and cut them all torqued down and started adjusting and right off the bat found a shim that got pinched wrong and had to undo that and put a new one in..
PXL_20211023_221422246.jpg

Then of course the rear main bolt and washer interfere with the oil pump..
I've got to pull that out grind it and retorque it in...
PXL_20211023_205500034.jpg

Then of course the mandatory run to the hardware store for the bolts that I didn't have.. $15...:rolleyes:...
PXL_20211023_204717341.jpg

Then of course my near brand new $17 can of the right stuff is plugged to holy heck and I have to wrestle that....
I cleaned the block at the front cover and traced the gasket so I knew where to put my RTV...
PXL_20211023_221331751.jpg

I have the bottom pretty much buttoned up so I can go ahead and put the intake manifold on the thermostat and the valve covers and start cleaning and taping and hopefully get some paint on it this next week... Oh yeah the water pump it's just on there the hold the timing cover right now..
PXL_20211023_231437974.jpg

Last edited:
Fought near every bolt goin into the intake.. hour and a half looking for a thermostat.. fourth part's store was a charm.... :BangHead:...
Finally buttoned up and ready to clean, tape, and paint...:thumbsup:...
Looks like a hodgepodge now but a dash of paint will get it cohesive....
I'll post a picture later.. the power got knocked out and our wifi is out...

PXL_20211024_202853886.jpg

Instant wind storm... How about this Widowmaker stabbed in my lawn? Miss the hot tub by about a foot and a half...
PXL_20211024_212328844.jpg

Well crap... My brain wouldn't leave me alone... Had to go back to the garage and finish the taping I started..
Now I'll clean the block and heads and wipe the other stuff and start painting..
Of course in-between rain storms over the next few days after work..
PXL_20211025_025805462.jpg
PXL_20211025_025830814.jpg
PXL_20211025_025819559.jpg

I'm kind of amazed at itself supporting itself from sticking in the ground...
I haven't dealt with it yet it's kind of cool...
Its probably jammed in there a foot or so.

PXL_20211028_180153189.jpg

Got a little primer on the engine and was able to get the frame rolled back into the garage. Working on the transmission crossmember right now getting that cleaned up so I can get it painted. Run down and get some more grade 8 mounting bolts and a quart of transmission fluid to toss in the converter so I can connect the stuff up and get it dropped onto the frame...
Hopefully I'll have some pictures of all that this weekend..

No just the old crappy one's it came with.. that's the very last cherry on the cake..
:thumbsup: I really like the effort and quality you're putting in the truck.
It's going to be one sweet truck. At the pace you are going it looks to be road worthy and done by next summer. Is that the goal?

:thumbsup: I really like the effort and quality you're putting in the truck.
It's going to be one sweet truck. At the pace you are going it looks to be road worthy and done by next summer. Is that the goal?
I'm hoping when I'm done snowmobiling I can use my sled deck as a cart kind of for the bed and have that painted and when that comes back hopefully I'll be somewhere close, so yes maybe by the end of the summer or close to it....
When I was moving the frame from the side yard Costco garage tent into the garage I had to wash off the mud on the wheels and got water on the frame. I came in and some kind of weird panic trying to dry it all off and I thought how stupid I felt as one day this will be getting wet all the time...

-
Back