74 power wagon dream truck...

-
Ok things are starting to come together a little.. went and dropped off the valve and oil pan at the machine shop and my block was on the assembly bench!!:thumbsup:...
And while at my visit the crank was installed...
PXL_20210928_165338121.jpg
PXL_20210928_162649639.jpg
PXL_20210928_162654144.jpg

I'd be surprised if I didn't have it by the end of the week...
I dropped off the hood and both fenders at the paint shop yesterday and the cab continues to progress...

PXL_20210927_221027120.jpg

Also I ordered the transmission rebuild kit, the Transco 2 shift kit, and a heavy duty converter.. that will be ready for pickup Friday on my next day off...
I also got a call from Oregon cam and my cam and lifters are ready for pickup and I'll get those on my way home from work tomorrow..
Also tomorrow night I'll order a timing chain and oil pump and a couple of gaskets from summit...

Sweet deal. Looks good.

I just dropped off my NP 435 to ‘All Standard Transmission’ for a refresh. The one I did, wasn’t right it would hang up in 1st/2nd gear. Sometimes have to shut the truck off to get it back into neutral, even though the clutch is depressed and you can clearly see the clutch disc not spinning. So it’s something internal I got wrong during the rebuild. I’ll leave it up to a ‘professional’ to fix that one. Lol

Sweet deal. Looks good.

I just dropped off my NP 435 to ‘All Standard Transmission’ for a refresh. The one I did, wasn’t right it would hang up in 1st/2nd gear. Sometimes have to shut the truck off to get it back into neutral, even though the clutch is depressed and you can clearly see the clutch disc not spinning. So it’s something internal I got wrong during the rebuild. I’ll leave it up to a ‘professional’ to fix that one. Lol
I think I have some geometry issues with my Duster clutch. Something about when it starts getting really hot it won't want to go into first gear or go into reverse..

I think I have some geometry issues with my Duster clutch. Something about when it starts getting really hot it won't want to go into first gear or go into reverse..
I doubt you have a geometry issue, that sounds more like a cheap parts store rebuilt clutch issue.
Replace it with a quality clutch/pressure plate and I bet the issue goes away.
I have had great luck with the Ram muscle car series clutch kits.

I doubt you have a geometry issue, that sounds more like a cheap parts store rebuilt clutch issue.
Replace it with a quality clutch/pressure plate and I bet the issue goes away.
I have had great luck with the Ram muscle car series clutch kits.
I have a act technologies pressure plate and I replaced the six puck ceramic disc with a heavy duty disc..

Exciting. Moving along nicely.
Yes!.. things are starting to come together and I'm getting more broke by the minute LOL.. another catch 20 I have lots of time off to get some of this work done like rebuilding the transmission and getting the engine together but on the other hand that stops all the funds... It seems like I have one or the other time or money but not both..:BangHead:...

Yes!.. things are starting to come together and I'm getting more broke by the minute LOL.. another catch 20 I have lots of time off to get some of this work done like rebuilding the transmission and getting the engine together but on the other hand that stops all the funds... It seems like I have one or the other time or money but not both..:BangHead:...
Oh I know that part. My money is spent before I earn it. LOL. I have 3 weeks to come up with $2500 bucks when I go pick up my engine on the day of Mopar Fall Fling Oct 23rd. Cutting it close, I’ll be real tight on my spending. Cheap dinners ramen noodles literally.

Well yesterday I got the transmission rebuild stuff and I grabbed the short block. I got the short block on my engine stand pulled the bag back and the damn distributor bushing wasn't put in!:BangHead:...
I called on it and got the old I'll call you back in a little bit and never got a call:wtf:... Sooooo... I'll load it back up Monday morning and take it back I want things to be taken care of I did pay for it and the labor... Which that will mean 4 hours out of my day dragging the hoist back out from the backyard lifting it into the truck strapping it down driving the 45 minutes out to the shop waiting the hour there for them to do it and then reversing all that back and the $20 in gas...
Anyways I'm not ready for that engine quite yet. I still have that transmission splattered all over my garage... I made my second attempt at cleaning the case.. my first attempt was with the power washer getting the heaviest crap off and then my second attempt here was Dollar tree awesome and some wire brushes.. I can actually see aluminum on the outside now in some places but of course the crevices are the worst culprits right now..
After I put everything away I went back down to the store and got some aluminum wheel cleaner... I'm going to give that a shot today... My entire mission today is to get the case and tail housing 100% as clean as I can so tomorrow I can start reassembly of the transmission..:thumbsup:...

Last edited:
Call a local trans shop, have them ultrasonic clean it, best money you can spend.

Well yesterday I got the transmission rebuild stuff and I grabbed the short block. I got the short block on my engine stand pulled the bag back and the damn distributor bushing wasn't put in!:BangHead:...
I called on it and got the old I'll call you back in a little bit and never got a call:wtf:... Sooooo... I'll load it back up Monday morning and take it back I want things to be taken care of I did pay for it and the labor... Which that will mean 4 hours out of my day dragging the hoist back out from the backyard lifting it into the truck strapping it down driving the 45 minutes out to the shop waiting the hour there for them to do it and then reversing all that back and the $20 in gas...
Anyways I'm not ready for that engine quite yet. I still have that transmission splattered all over my garage... I made my second attempt at cleaning the case.. my first attempt was with the power washer getting the heaviest crap off and then my second attempt here was Dollar tree awesome and some wire brushes.. I can actually see aluminum on the outside now in some places but of course the crevices are the worst culprits right now..
After I put everything away I went back down to the store and got some aluminum wheel cleaner... I'm going to give that a shot today... My entire mission today is to get the case and tail housing 100% as clean as I can so tomorrow I can start reassembly of the transmission..:thumbsup:...
Called machine shop first thing this morning and they're coming later this week to my house when I have a day off to install it with the correct tool...:thumbsup:..

The owner of the machine shop came and put my intermediate shaft bushing in today. We chatted for a little bit...
I got some time to get the transmission inners cleaned and assembled. Also got most of it put together. Just have to put the pump in tomorrow and get the tail housing on... I'll clean up my workbench and Saturday start on the valve body....
PXL_20211007_220619260.jpg

Easy peezy...
PXL_20211007_192200500.jpg

I'm going to build one some day! Some day!

Cley
Every time I rebuild one of these I think about doing a thread to rebuild the automatic and then I get consumed actually doing it and having to stop and change gloves every time I need to snap a picture.. anyways here's all the extremely specialized tools you need and remember this toothpick is important! LOL, and actually the one piece of 2-in angle iron that's bent a little bit as we're doing the 904..
PXL_20211008_193941766.jpg
q

Every time I rebuild one of these I think about doing a thread to rebuild the automatic and then I get consumed actually doing it and having to stop and change gloves every time I need to snap a picture.. anyways here's all the extremely specialized tools you need and remember this toothpick is important! LOL, and actually the one piece of 2-in angle iron that's bent a little bit as we're doing the 904..View attachment 1715802760q
PXL_20211008_164309904.jpg
PXL_20211008_163418886.jpg

PXL_20211008_164254476.jpg

PXL_20211007_175149052.jpg

This is the leftover pile. Several clutches and steels.. two bands and a bunch of small lip seals and piston rings and some gaskets...
Even when the machine shop owner was over he was also saying what a small amount of overhead you would need for transmission repair. Especially these older years all you needed was a good work bench and something to clean the parts. Not like big expensive boring machines and so forth...
PXL_20211008_201151377.jpg

Last edited:
Okay almost buttoned up... Everything is adjusted connected and so forth. I got the trans go two shift kit in and went for the full shift command feature as well. What the hell I'm in there.. just need to put the filter on and decide which one to use. The rebuild kit came with more of a stock one which I think is more recommended cuz it's got more filtration. The trans go shift kit came with more of a screen that I can tell is higher flow...
I have a brand new pan gasket and bolts to put on that has a drain plug in it. I bought that a long time ago. I did pull out some larger drill bits for drilling then the shift kit had in it. It said you can drill them just to touch bigger for more firmer shifts...
Tomorrow I just have to again put the filter and pan on and clean up the exterior stuff the shifter levers the rear output u-joint holder and the dipstick tube...
Then on to the engine...
PXL_20211009_184933026.jpg
PXL_20211009_184947088.jpg
PXL_20211009_210038576.jpg
PXL_20211009_230003680.jpg
PXL_20211009_230024231.jpg
PXL_20211009_230014774.jpg
PXL_20211009_225951024.jpg

-
Back