74 Scamp BB swap questions?

-

74RR

Reaction score
I've got a 74 Scamp with a /6 and am looking to swap either a BB or SB. I'd rather go with a BB but am wondering what all is involved in doing so over doing a SB swap?
Hoping someone can help me with some information?
Thanks!

as far as difficulty level, I'd say about the same. The small block conversion will be cheaper, because you can use readily available factory parts, K-frame, motor mounts, exhaust, etc.
The big block swap, while not real difficult, will require many custom (expensive) parts. Even a mildly built 318 in a Scamp is a great package,(Mine runs low 12s) & people practically give 318s away. the initial cost of a big block will be much higher as well.

Thanks for the reply!
Maybe I will go with a SB. Your correct about the 318's,people seems to give them away.
Thanks again!

What's your goals for the car? And keep in mind that they might change a couple years down the road. Maybe consider a platform that you can easily modify in the future if you're looking for more power. How are your mechanic/fabrication skills? You might need to make a few custom brackets and mods w/ the big block.

As far as motor costs, I don't know that its a big difference. I found a '71 Newport w/ a 440, 727 and 8 3/4 rearend. I paid $600 for the whole car and scraped what was left after I stripped it for $200 (that's motor, trans, rearend and various other parts for $400). When it comes to rebuilding a motor is the cost any different if its a big block or small block? All of the machine work is the same right?

I will agree that the parts needed to fit the big block will drive the cost up.

The benefits of a small block would be lighter (w/o adding a lot of aluminium parts to the big block), more room for things like exhaust, power steering, brakes, AC, etc.

Personally, I like the look of a big block stuffed in an abody w/ the motor almost touching both of the fenders and the hood! It drives just fine w/ manual brakes and steering too. I have a '74 Scamp as well. Scamps don't really turn a lot of heads but when it's putting out 550 hp it sure will!

You'll have fun w/ it whichever direction you go.

the biggest hassles in the swap to bb is the headers, the engine to radiator clearance and the power brake booster and or blower fan to valve cover clearance. this can all be overcome but it does cost money.
then there is the motor mount issue too.

Big block.........money shot:

Attachments

• 67 GT conv 440 01.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 177
Sweet pic Jim lusk! I went big block on my 70 duster and it's almost on the road but like stated above the headers are exspensive. I went with the Schumachers.it's a tight fit.

I agree,nice pic!
I have some things to think about here. I don't have a blower motor to deal with and I don't have power brakes so that might help.
Thanks again for everyones replies and help!

-
Back