See pics, don't know enough to interpret what you see
Changed directions to cruiser , daily thrashing, 4000
Rpm at 80 mph with 3.91 no go
I want to use this 3.23
What does the gear mesh pattern reveal besides rust
I can download more pics later

PXL_20240219_202322495.jpg

It'll be really noisy for a while.
The roller bearings will likely be as rusty/pitted as the gears, they'll create heat and boom.
You're buying the case only, and not the preferred one either.
Good luck. jmo

Nothing wrong with a 741 case. I agree about the bearings though. You should remove the carrier, make sure the bearings are good and clean and not pitted. Run a wire brush over the ring gear. Remove the pinion and do the same, then reassemble.

Am I the only bonehead who can't see a gear mesh pattern in that photo?

I'd measure the backlash, pull it apart, clean the gears really well with a wire wheel, inspect the hell out of the bearings, reassemble keeping the backlash the same as it currently sits (assuming it's in spec), and run pattern with grease/marking compound.

Am I the only bonehead who can't see a gear mesh pattern in that photo?

I'd measure the backlash, pull it apart, clean the gears really well with a wire wheel, inspect the hell out of the bearings, reassemble keeping the backlash the same as it currently sits (assuming it's in spec), and run pattern with grease/marking compound.
No, I'm a bonehead too because I cannot see it either.

741s have a pinion bearing spacer as opposed to a crush sleeve. Make sure you don't loose track of any pinion shims that might fall out if you take it apart.

i'll also say that most of us have probably run something just as rough or worse looking.
Ran my 741 missing 3 teeth for a season. I did remove them and the culprit that caused it all. (Long story) :BangHead:
I run a 741 in my small block and a 742 with my Big block. I like shimming better than crush collars but that's just me. They make a spacer to eliminate using one on the 489 case.

I've cleaned up gears that were no rusty than that and they were quiet afterwards. But the guys have a point about checking the bearings since there's rust on the gears

-
Back