'75 360...any good?

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a '75 360-2bbl and 727 trans from a motorhome. Its still in the chassis so I can hear it run, and actually drive it if I want. I'm not really up on 360's, so, is this year of 360 OK ,and are there things I should look for, or avoid? I know the pan and pick-up won't fit a car, but other than that, I'm fairly clueless on 360's. Can I use my 273 exhaust manifolds? Can I still use my '67 904 trans? Do I need a different flexplate to use the 360 w/the 904? Any other pitfalls?

If it helps, it might be going in my '67 Dart 'vert, or, the '65 Valiant 'vert, when it's done.

Any help is appreciated. Thx gang!

Basic-lee, LOL, all 360 are preety much the same. No big or better bang on eaarlier years or later one save the head flow from the letter heads to late model smog heads.
Speaking of which, the smog heads you have are not the end of the world and can be made to perform very well for street duty or in a upgraded and more powerful engine.
Can I use my 273 exhaust manifolds? Can I still use my '67 904 trans? Do I need a different flexplate to use the 360 w/the 904? Any other pitfalls?
Yes, you could use the exhaust manifolds, but the 360's would be better if they fit. Pay attention to the port size. It may be possible to port out the 273 exhaust manifolds to fit the 360 port size nicely.

You can still use the 904 tranny, no problem. On the torque converter, you'll need to use the 360 converter, flex plate and front balancer. The 360's balanceing parts are for the engine, not the tranny. Beware of lock up trannys with different spline counts requireing a different converter.
Probably, and more likely not the case for a 75 truck tranny.

Drivers side engine mount is different between the 273 and 360.
You may also want to use ALL the engine attachments on the 360 like the fan and any spacers, Alt. and ascco. brackets that will all bolt up no problem, but the newer brackets and therefore placement of items may not be to great fitting.

you can use the 904 converter with a b&m flexplate..

the 727 converter will not fit...and the weights will be on the converter...

so you will need the weighted flexplate from b&m.

The only problem with using the original torque converter with a b&m flexplate is your converter was made for a 273 which had a smaller pilot hub (1.55" vs. 1.81") so the 273 converter used behind that 360 will probably break something because it has no front support. You really need to change the converter to the larger pilot hub to mate to the engine. Also keep in mind your trans. is the older one (assuming it's original to the car) so the spline count is 18 where-as the newer 904's are 27 so make sure and get the right converter.

Come to think of it I'm not sure anybody makes that combination. A 1.81" pilot hub with a 18 spline. If you can't find one you'll probably have to have a machine shop make a spacer.

""Yes, you could use the exhaust manifolds, but the 360's would be better if they fit.""

The motorhome has headers on it right now which probably wont fit a car application, so I guess I'll have to get 360 car manifolds. I've also heard that the newer 360 Magnum manifolds are supposed to fit our 2nd-gen A-Body engine compartments. Is this true?

""your converter was made for a 273 which had a smaller pilot hub (1.55" vs. 1.81")""

I take it that the 360 has a 1.81" pilot hole in the end of the crank? So, can I have an adapter ring with a 1.55" inside diameter (for the 273/904 TC) and a 1.81" outside diameter (for the 360 crank pilot hole) machined up, and then use my original TC w/ a B&M weighted flexplate? How about using the 727? Different driveshaft length, different linkages,etc?

The engine starts great,revs up good and runs smooth,with no smoke or weird noises whatsoever. The seller says it has only about 50k miles on it. It goes into gear nice, but I haven't driven it yet. If I get serious, I will drive it before buying.

Thanks to all those who have responded so far. There's more to this swap than I first thought.

Yes on the converter, I forgot to mention an adapter will make it work. Sorry.

I doubt the newer magnum manifolds will fit. I had a set I took off a 93 magnum and I didn't actually try to fit them on my Cuda but looking at them they sure didn't look like they would fit.

I believe the 727 would fit in the 67, you would be limited to the 904 with the 65. you could go witha more modern 904with 27 splines, they are easy to come by and fairly cheap.

I put a 904 from a duster in my 66 when I did the swap, as my slant 904 would not work. It would probably be quite easy to find a local member willing to trade your motorhome 727, for their known good 904?

The B&M Flexplate is only about $60.00

Thanks, Robb. The 360 would go in my '67 Dart. The 904 presently there is working fine, i was just thinking the 727 might be easier. (probably not) I wonder about an O/D 904...they are the A999 ? That would be really cool!

This is a 76 truck 360 that was in my 73 Scamp for a few years. It is borred 40 over with a summit/speed pro rebuild kit. I have never had any problems with the motor its self, just a few carb issues with the pile of crap Demon that was on it.

360.jpg

Here is the same motor as it sits now waiting for custom paint so it can go in my 53 Merc pick up.

100_1117.jpg

Grab it and run!!! The last 360/727 I got for 400 and then 200 each for the 2 motors only before that.

I wonder about an O/D 904...they are the A999 ? That would be really cool!

No the A999 isn't an O.D. The O.D. version of the 904 is the A500. Allot of guys put them in. Just takes some modifying to the crossmember to get the tailshaft to clear.

I think that if your using a column shift, the linkage bracket that attaches to the tranny is different from 904 to 727 also? I believe its A body specific. and maybe the Z bar (crosshaft pivot) needs to be shortend too, or is that just a /6 904 prob? I had to do this on mine when I went /6-904 to 360-727.
Anybody else got input?

Definitely a good price. Check em out good to make sure their not full of water and if their good jump on them.

The engine starts great,revs good and runs smooth,with no smoke or weird noises. The seller says it has only about 50k miles on it. It goes into gear nice, but I haven't driven it yet. If I get serious, I will definitley drive it before I buy them.

Hi, I was wondering if that same combination ( motorhome 360/727) would fit in my 75 Dart Sport?

What motor/tranny/rear do you have now? If you have a slant you will need motor mounts, driveshaft and rear if it is a 7 1/4 if you have a 318/904 then you will need about 3 washers to take up some space on the driverside mount, and your driveshaft reworked.

What motor/tranny/rear do you have now? If you have a slant you will need motor mounts, driveshaft and rear if it is a 7 1/4 if you have a 318/904 then you will need about 3 washers to take up some space on the driverside mount, and your driveshaft reworked.

...and a car oil pan and pickup.

I've got a slant 6, auto on the column, and a 8 1/4 with a sure grip. Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look at it tomorrow...Dean

The only real check is to have your machinist sonic check the cylinders walls. I have not heard of one year block being better than another in the small block Mopar world. That is in contrast to some of the big 3 having some blocks cast with a higher nickel content.

-
Back