750 CFM for my 383 or what?

-

Gerry Holmes

Reaction score
okay my 1967 273 to 383 swap is done. the 383 is a 330 horsepower 1970 HP N code with a stock carb AVS 4736S which i believe is a 600 CFM. the question is for a simple boost in power do i jet this carb, or do i go to a 750 CFM? is this overkill or will i get good results? thanks Gerry

It will love you for putting on a 750 Holley or Quick Fuel and it will be in heaven if you put either on top of Edelbrock RPM Performer Intake. Those 2 additions will net you approx. 50 or more HP.

The 383 will devour the 600 CFM might even lean out on you at WOT. Its venitures are smaller. The 600 will get you to the grocery store. lol! Definitely go with 750. I ran a 750 Holley on a well built 383 for a long time the engine loved that carb. I was thinking about going 800 cfm but never did. Of course I use Holleys so the AVS type carbs I didn't even waste my time with. Vacuum secondaries for auto trans and mechanical secondaries for manual transmissions.

thanks Demonseed, i'm trying to keep it as stock as i can, and therefore would like to leave the manifold alone (allthough i'm not ruling that out, i'd just paint it chrysler blue to fit in) and i'd probably resort to an AFB or AVS 750 CFM to keep the stock look. thanks Gerry

I forget the issue but Muscle motors did a article on a 335 horse 383 and they ran 6 different carbs. The 383 liked the bigger carb It made the most HP and torque with the 4781 850 DP.

thanks Demonseed, i'm trying to keep it as stock as i can, and therefore would like to leave the manifold alone (allthough i'm not ruling that out, i'd just paint it chrysler blue to fit in) and i'd probably resort to an AFB or AVS 750 CFM to keep the stock look. thanks Gerry

She's you're engine Gerry, as long as you understand that that stock manifold is a huge cork to the system. 383's love to rev out and get there fast, it's a big block that thinks it's a small block.

Terry

yeah Terry i see what you mean, i didn't realize until a few minutes ago that i would be adding an adapter and trying to cram more fuel and air down the existing smaller holes, so i guess i'll be doing the manifold, and painting it blue to look stock!

, i'm trying to keep it as stock as i can, i'd probably resort to an AFB or AVS 750 CFM to keep the stock look. thanks Gerry

A Holley 750 won't "keep the stock look" too well.

I vote for the 750 AVS (or a '67 Carter AFB 750 (#4326/7), that came on '67 440 HP's, if you can find one.)

-
Back