750 Edelbrock carb

-

Steve Agrella

Reaction score
Is this carb too big for a 360 with a mild cam, bogs down spits and sputters when I put my foot in it, I just purchased this car thinking that. Maybe it’s a bit overcharged.
Any suggestions, maybe try to trade it for a 600-650

It shouldn't be too big. I feel sure your carburetor can be tuned to run properly.

Time to tune that bad boy!

AFB carbs can be a pain when standing still and then stomping on it as well from a low rpm. The secondary for opens to soon. Sadly, there not adjustable, or so easy to make them Open slower.

Any suggestions on which way to go on the tune, the idle is good slow speed is fine it stumbles bad in the midrange gets better as it gets hotter, still I feel it’s drowning in the mid range

Let’s start with the distributor timing. Where is it at?

You could use more. 15* (cam dependent) perhaps even 20*.
Cap, rotor, wires & plugs fresh? Fresh plugs help tell you the rich/lean runnings of the engine.

Edelbrock has good instructions on this. You can download them from there site.

What jets and rods are in it now. Run rich or lean?

You can also purchase a 02 sensor and gauge package to help you with lean rich conditions.

I’m a rookie help me out here

If your engine has stock compression.....say 8.5 "or so" it can stand "somewhere" around 20 degrees initial timing. The trick to running it that high is, you must limit the mechanical advance. In other words, you run 20 initial and limit mechanical to say 15 for a total of 35 and you want all the mechanical advance in by about 2500 or so RPM. I say all the "all sos" and "abouts" not to make it vague, but because each engine is different and you will have to experiment with yours to see what it likes best.

New plugs, cap, rotor, wires, didn’t help.
I have no idea what’s in the carb, I imagine stock, the previous owner doesn’t have a clue

Get that up to 16-18 initial and see how that goes. It’ll make a world of difference.

Jake

How do you limit the mechanical advance,

Depends on what type of distributor you have. On the GM style HEI in my Ford truck's 351M, I drilled a hole right in the breaker plate and used a sheet metal screw for a breaker plate stop. I made a "good guess" and got it right on 15* mechanical advance the first time. There are many different ways depending on your distributor.

Depends on what type of distributor you have. On the GM style HEI in my Ford truck's 351M, I drilled a hole right in the breaker plate and used a sheet metal screw for a breaker plate stop. I made a "good guess" and got it right on 15* mechanical advance the first time. There are many different ways depending on your distributor.
Got a lot to learn, thanks for taking the time

At least some Edlebrock produced 750s use the same booster as the smaller carb - which is too short - and doesn't end at the proper location in the venturi for maximum signal.
So they will be slower to get onto mains than the should etc.
That said, even so, that's not causing what you describe. If it was that serious of a problem they would have had to change it to the right length. So its just a weakness in those carbs.

Initial timing and timing off idle will depend alot on the cylinder heads, compression, engine size, and cam timing.
Use these to ballpark your starting point.
Distributor starting point for a curve

Keep in mind that a pre-emissions era 4-bbl 273 had a factory initial of 10* BTDC.
A more radical cam, lower compression, and less efficient head at low rpm will require more lead time to build the pressure.

What happens off-idle depends entirely on the advance curve. Unless you have an original distributor with a part number tag on it, there's no way to even guess what the curve is. It has to measured. You'll need a timing light, a tach, and some marking on the damper that shows up to 40*. (that is unless you know someone with a distributor machine).

Don't worry about limiting the advance curve for the moment. Just get the initial and see how it runs at lower rpms normal use.
Then figure out what the curve and max advance is, and deal with limiting if needed.
One minor restriction - do not go wide open throttle without knowing the max timing will stay in a reasonably safe zone.
* If you're going to the drag strip, then you have to make checking the fully advanced timing a priority. Mopar performance recommended 35* by 3000 rpm for stock LA heads as a starting point. If it pings, get out of the throttle and reduce the timing 2 - 3*

PS. If you are using vacuum advance, remove the hose from the distributor and plug it (a golf tee is good). Timing at idle is always measured set this way, factory stock or modified, doesn't matter. You should be able to test drive it this way too. If not, something is way off.

bogs down spits and sputters when I put my foot in it,

the idle is good slow speed is fine it stumbles bad in the midrange gets better as it gets hotter, still I feel it’s drowning in the mid range
If its good when slowly increasing throttle from idle, but sputters when quickly opened to either part throttle or full throttle, then the issue is mostly accelerator pump shot.

Does the engine respond by backing off the throttle (instantly reducing airflow)?

It might need a smaller carburetor.....BUT the CORRECT order of tuning is timing FIRST. So I would sort that our first, then try to tune the carburetor you HAVE. If all else fails there, then you might look to something smaller.

Vacuum advance is for economy and once you put a mild cam in there that's pretty much out the window so I usually get rid of the vacuum advance. That allows you to start at a higher initial timing and then creep up to 35 All In. I would probably tune it and such rev it up to about 3 Grand where it's all in and set it at about 35 and see where it backs down to? And then see how good it starts and runs and accelerates. From there it definitely sounds like an accelerator pump in the carburetor which is$15. Or just a simple plug-in that passage which it usually is. Also if this doesn't konflict I probably would agree with everything Triple R saying.

-
Back