78 Aspen 904 tranny into 69 dart spedo cable issue

-

scott69dart

Reaction score
78 318/904 Aspen swap into my 69 Dart /6 car. The 69 /6 spedo cable end at tranny doesn't match the 78 904 tranny connection. What do I need to do? Is there an adapter available? Would a V8 spedo cable have the correct end? Or do I have to have a custom cable made? :banghead:

I might be wrong but I think the only change was in the diameter of the cable collector nut/housing threads. Since there is likely a different speedo gear inside the later model trans too. You may be able to swap in the entire speedo gear housing from the earlier trans.
If this doesn't help its a bump at least . Good luck

Your '69 Dart should have a separate speedo gear housing that has threads for the attaching nut on the speedo cable housing. The '78 speedo cable and speedo gear holder is all one piece. To use the later transmission, just pull the speedo housing out of your old '69 transmission and mount it in place of the speedo cable assy from the '78 transmission. You would want to use your old speedo gear anyway so your speedo stays accurate.

I believe I have it figured out with the help you guys offered. I no longer have the original 225 or tranny. I'm assuming it was a 904 tranny with a /6 bell housing.

Anyway, I've ordered off of ebay the correct cast spedo gear housing with the threaded end for the spedo cable and a 31 tooth gear for use with P235/60R/15 tires. The chart I found calls out for a 32 tooth but couldn't find one.

Car is in the muffler shop getting dual X pipe and flowmasters 40's with tailpipes out the back, then off to the alignment shop. Should be ready for the road after that! It's been 3 years getting to this point due to other projects including a rock crawler 89 YJ.

Thanks again
Scott :cheers:

-
Back