8 1/4 2.45 housing, is it different?

-

KenZ

Reaction score
I've read both here and on Moparts that some say the 2.45 geared 8 1/4 housing is different from the lower geared housing, and that you can't swap carriers and gears. And some say that you can. Has anyone actually put 3.21 or 3.55 gears and the correct carrier into a housing that originally had 2.45 gears?

Thanks,
Ken

I've read both here and on Moparts that some say the 2.45 geared 8 1/4 housing is different from the lower geared housing, and that you can't swap carriers and gears. And some say that you can. Has anyone actually put 3.21 or 3.55 gears and the correct carrier into a housing that originally had 2.45 gears?

Thanks,
Ken

I am pretty sure you can't use the same carrier. My 8 1/4 originaly had a 2.45 open gear. A 3.21 gear was put in but with a mopar sure-grip differential. I may be wrong but if I had not purchased the sure-grip, only the gear set, then it wouldn't work. I bought mine through summit. The description states "for use with 2.76 or numerically higher gears"

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4529273/

Hope this helps.

I agree that I have to change the carrier and the gears. I just keep hearing people state that the housing itself is different and was looking to see if anyone has done the swap. I have a sure grip carrier and 3.21 gears from a 79 Volare 8.25 that only had 50k miles. I want to put them into my 73 Duster 8.25 that currently has 2.45 gears. It sounds like you've done it and it works. That's great.
:)
Thanks,
ken

I agree that I have to change the carrier and the gears. I just keep hearing people state that the housing itself is different and was looking to see if anyone has done the swap. I have a sure grip carrier and 3.21 gears from a 79 Volare 8.25 that only had 50k miles. I want to put them into my 73 Duster 8.25 that currently has 2.45 gears. It sounds like you've done it and it works. That's great.
:)
Thanks,
ken

Unless they changed the housing design you should be fine. My 8 1/4 is the same housing from the factory. You'll notice quite a difference in driveability.

-
Back