8 1/4 posi options

-

1974DartSwinger

Reaction score
Hey, Got a '74 Dart Swinger here . . . I'm running a stock 8 1/4, 318 with something around 300 hp, with a built A904 (2,500 stall, trans-go stage 2 shift kit, rebuilt trans). I'm starting to think about the rear end now. I've seen a few "locker" or "semi-locker" style diffs in Jegs or Summit but wanted to know what other guys are using. I'm going to end up with 3.23's or 3.55's since I plan on cruising more than racing, but I dont want to kill anything doing 1 leg burnouts!

Any advice?

i am looking at doin the same thing so will keep an eye on ur thread and let you know if i find out anything

Have a "No-Slip" in my street/strip Dakota. Pros: If not changing gears, cheaper as it is DYI. Great at the strip. Cons: Will not corner as well as a Shur-Grip (allows the outside wheel to speed up). Mine gave a false feeling of severe oversteer with moderate thottle in a corner. B**** to change axles.

Hey, Got a '74 Dart Swinger here . . . I'm running a stock 8 1/4, 318 with something around 300 hp, with a built A904 (2,500 stall, trans-go stage 2 shift kit, rebuilt trans). I'm starting to think about the rear end now. I've seen a few "locker" or "semi-locker" style diffs in Jegs or Summit but wanted to know what other guys are using. I'm going to end up with 3.23's or 3.55's since I plan on cruising more than racing, but I dont want to kill anything doing 1 leg burnouts!

Any advice?

Posi? I dont think chevy parts will fit in a mopar rear end...lol joking, i think there is chrysler dealer that sells some sure grips diffs for the 8.25 on ebay that are supposed to be decent

I believe Moser sells a 8 1/4 sure-grip unit.Hope this helps.I have one with 4.10 gears but your to far for a sale.

A 74 would have 27 spline axles. It was the 96 an newer 8.25's the got the bigger 29 spline axles.

I also am at the stage of needing to make differential decisions. I believe my 67 is the small rear end and I am looking for shur-grip or equivelant options or do I need to change it to an A body 8 3/4 to get the option. I estimate my 273/904 combo will have 250/275 at the flexplate. Opinions?
TIA, Douglas

Desert Rat, you don't need to go to a 8-3/4 sized rear for a sure grip differentail. Mopar used to sell and may still have in stock, a 8-1/4 sure grip unit for the 8-1/4 rear end for our old cars.

Otherwise, as mentioned above, other company's will have them. You can look on line at places like Manciniracing, Jegs/Summit racing.

Desert Rat, you don't need to go to a 8-3/4 sized rear for a sure grip differentail. Mopar used to sell and may still have in stock, a 8-1/4 sure grip unit for the 8-1/4 rear end for our old cars.

Otherwise, as mentioned above, other company's will have them. You can look on line at places like Manciniracing, Jegs/Summit racing.

Thanks, How do I tell which I have? From the forums it looks like there is a
7 3/4, 8 1/4 and 8 3/4. I guess I better identify what I have so I know how to jump!

DesertRat, 7 1 /4: cover has nine bolts. 8 1/4 cover has 10 bolts. 8 3/4 does
not have a removable cover.

DesertRat, 7 1 /4: cover has nine bolts. 8 1/4 cover has 10 bolts. 8 3/4 does
not have a removable cover.

Thanks Orv! Mine has 9 bolts in the cover so I doubt that there is any point in installing any kind of no-slip center unit is there? The motor will be 250HP+ and the 904 will be properly built.
DM

-
Back