8 1/4 ?

-

Fishthatkills

Fish that kills
Reaction score
So from what I gather the 8 1/4 rearend did not come on A-Bodies right? I will need to beef up the rear of my cuda sooner or later and the 8 3/4 a-body rears are hard to find and expensive. So is there an 8 1/4 a-body rear?

Thanks,
John B. :blob:

Actually, 8 1/4 rears came factory in a lot of a bodies. They replaced the 8 3/4 starting in '73. they were all big bolt pattern 4 1/2" instead of '72 and older a bodies with 4" small bolt pattern.
The 8 1/4 is a great upgrade for the weak 7 1/4.

So I could find a doner car and have new axles made for the the 4" bolt pattern? Anyone done this? What would one guess an 8 1/4 rear cost fair market value?

John B.

John,
You can always have the LBP hubs drilled for the smaller pattern it just doesn't work the other way around. You will also be eligible for the Jeep disc brake swap its a direct bolt on for the 8 1/4.
Andrew

I picked up an 8 1/4 A body shur lock 3:21 from a 73 Duster.
I would like to do the Jeep Disc Conversion, what donor parts
model & year should I look for?
TIA, Rat

A fair price? Humm, that could be tuff. A location dependent priced item perhaps. I hate to undercut anyone selling theres here, but, I pais $200 for my suregrip equiped rear w/3.21's, but it did not even have backing plates with it. Which was not a problem since I had waiting Cordoba 11 inch set up's waiting for this.

a suregrip will cost more. The open 8.25 w/ 321 gears I commonly 150.00 drum to drum at parts yards.

Where ya at RedFish?
Now I don't feel to bad for paying $200 without backing plates and brakes. Being I had the sure grip in it.

I picked up an 8 1/4 A body shur lock 3:21 from a 73 Duster.
I would like to do the Jeep Disc Conversion, what donor parts
model & year should I look for?
TIA, Rat

I guess I will rephrase the question. What is a good choice for the disc conversion on the 1973 8 1/4 A-body rear end that I already own. I thought I read that the jeep liberty was a bolt in. I will be running 15" LBP rallys.
Thanks, Rat=P~

I do beileve the current 8-1/4 rear brake systems from any MoPar will swap right over. It's still the same rear.

If you don't want to use a stock system, then I can't help with a been there and done that, but there are a number of companines, SSBC, Wilwood, etc.....

FWIW, I had a shoe delaminate on the rear of the Cuda (76 a-body 8.25" rear) last summer and it was floating around in the drum making noise and causing drag.

No one had shoes for a 76 Dart with 10x2.5 brakes on the shelf. I then remembered I had a set of new 10x2.5" shoes for the rear of my Dakota in the garage. When I laid them up side by side for camparison they were the same except for the way the e-brake actuator lever attaches. The 76 rear there is a round hole with a post on the lever and a clip. The dakota shoes had a triangular hole the lever hooked into.

The only thing I needed to do to use the Dakota rear shoes was to use the Dakota e-brake actuating lever (or go with out the e-brake). So now rear brakes are parts store stocked item and much cheaper. I haven't checked to see if the Jeep drums work or not but I suspect they will.

Does anyone know if it is worth buying aftermarket posi and gears for an A body 8.25 rear end big bolt pattern. And what donor parts for a disc brake conversion would work? From what vehicle model & year?

-
Back