8.25 C-clip eliminators

-

Cornernfool

Reaction score
Just remembering all the GM stock cars when I raced at Ascot loosing axles because the c-clip failed. Using the 8.25 for Road Racing and was wondering about eliminating the C-clips. Opinions? Thanks.

The C-clip eliminators I have seen on GM cars are a total nightmare. My friend has a 68 Chevelle with a 12 bolt and it had C-Clip Eliminators, leaked like crazy. IIRC the bearings were kind of small also. He eventually bought new axles with Ford 9" Torino bearings and modified the housing.

I think for you, you can either use rear disk brakes (the calipers will generally keep the axles from sliding out), or install something with bolt-on axles like an 8 3/4.

GM used a bolt in axle for their 60's-70's B-O-P vehicles.
8.2" 10 bolt rear end, sometimes 8.5" 12 bolt.
No C clips, maybe try that route.

Well if I swap it I will go with a 9" Ford. Built a 65 Pontiac with bolt in axles, just spot welded the retainers. Thanks Guys!

Neither have I but there’s always someone who knows someone …… never them or seen it themselves….
It could happen.

I don't think there is any thing that a bracket at the bearing has to hold onto. The 8 1/4 bearing rides on the axle. You could put a lot of work into an 8 1/4 and use the 8 3/4 tapered bearings. The easy way to fix this would be to use a 8 3/4.

I've never seen a C clip fail. What I have seen is the button on the end of the axle break......and quite a few. Although the end result is the same. lol

-
Back