8.25 cross shaft stuck

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Buddy over on EVBC has a 8.25 that had the bolt shear from the cross shaft and now he cant get the cross shaft out at all. He has hammered it both directions with a 4 lb sledge and a drift and it only goes about 1/8 inch in either direction and stops cold. what could be holding it in there, spiders welded themselves to the shaft? ITs on a SG unit so I dont think he could manage to bolt it in and take a turn hoping the cross shaft would break free as the spiders rotate (hillbilly posi)? I got no experience with an 8.25, only an Explorer that I helped on with that shaft already removed. He's in a bind.

I suspect the remainder of the bolt is whats holding it. Hammering will get some movement as the bolt end digs into the casting. I dont know of an easy way to get that little piece of bolt out of there.

If the center of the pin is marked from a axle end draging against it, that is what caused the bolt to break and it will do it again.

Happened to me actually. Sheared some of the bolt, but part of the bolt was still holding it in. Keep hitting it (I used a 10lb sledge). It will shear the rest. Unless you can get an angled drill bit on there and drill it out, which would be preferable for both you and your casing.

Good luck!

-
Back