8.25 w/ 2/45:1 Woes and Confusion

-

swies

Wish I had more time.
Reaction score
So, I know I have an 8.25 with 2.45:1 gears.#-o
I would like to keep this cheap.
Just a toy that my sons and I take to the local track and cruise occasionally.
What I need to know, is what I need to do to get a limited slip with 3.55's or better in it.
I have been reading and reading and reading.
Pre 97 Jeep Cherokee....
Dodge Dakota...
Case break above/below 2.56...

Now for the info.
'75 Dart 4 door that started life as a cop car.
318 w/ 360 heads, 2.02 SS in, 1.64 SS ex.
Accel Dist, Coil, and wires.
Eddy AG RPM.
Eddy 600.
Comp XE268 cam, Comp Rockers, springs, lifters.
Hookers with flowmaster 40's dumped at the rear axle.
TF 904 with B&M Stage 2 (street/strip)

I am at my wits end trying to research the issue.
I can do the Pinion/ring swap etc, just need to know what to get and I cannot seem to get a solid answer from anyone.
Just lots of 'Um...' 'Well...'

Thanks very much to all who can/will help me out.
Bought the car last weekend and want to make it to the track.
:banghead:

If the ring and pinion and the sure grip came out of the same vehicle/truck/car your good to go, simple swap. On a few I have done the ring gear bolts hit the inside of the housing/cap area. A little grinding and your ready to go. You have to make sure the axle spline count is the same on the new sure grip, must be pre 1997. I would go pre 1996 to be sure. Even the pinion depth shim is easy, for example if the old gears are marked (white or yellow paint) -1xx and the new gears are marked +1xx then you just need a shim that is .002" thinner. For example old shim is .031" then the shim needed is .029". You will need a new crush sleeve. I do remember having a problem with the side carrier bearings, the newer ones don't fit the old housing, you will have to install the older sized ones. If you need pinion bearings, let me know, I will donate a set to you, keeping things on the cheap.

PM Sent.
Thanks so much.
Off to the yard this morning. I will let you know how it goes.
Hoping to get this sorted soon so I can get on to the steering.
It is like herding cats down the road.
Ordered the Loaded Brake booster w/ master cylinder last night.
Also found a set of factory manuals for the body and chassis on Ebay for $15.
Got them coming so I can RTFM!!!
Please keep at least two of the wheels on the ground!

I was not too lucky at the wrecking yards around here.
Found an '87 Dodge Dakota with the 8.25 SureGrip with 3.73's.
Will that one interchange?
Dealer only wants $100.
Gears looked great.
If it will fit, which carrier bearings will it need?
Thanks for all the help once again.

Id tell you that I think youre moving too fast,but Im afraid you would just flip me off.
If you just bought the car,IMO, you need to go over it with a fine toothed comb, before you hit the highway, and especially before hitting the track. I can tell youre excited, but take a breath. Nobody wants to read about a crash, or worse.

:cheers:

Id tell you that I think youre moving too fast,but Im afraid you would just flip me off.
If you just bought the car,IMO, you need to go over it with a fine toothed comb, before you hit the highway, and especially before hitting the track. I can tell youre excited, but take a breath. Nobody wants to read about a crash, or worse.

:blob:I would never flip you off. I agree with all that you said. I have been climbing through the car with that "fine tooth comb". I don't expect to have it at the track any time soon but at the moment it is a driver that is safe on the road. I drive it most days just cuz I like to. But I want to keep in mind the ultimate reason I bought the car. Not really to cruise, certainly not a trailer queen or show car. I bought it to hit the track with. I have two sons in college and they have their daily drivers that they need. Modifying them would not be advisable since they depend on them for work/school. With this car, we can mod it, race it and if it breaks, we can fix it and do it again without worrying about getting to work / school the next day.
Once again, I certainly agree with you and appreciate the insight.

2 Darts.
Thanks for the info.
I have been talking to 69mope regarding that same issue.
I understand I might have to clearance the inside of the housing for the ring bolts but that mod has been done numerous times so I have read on this site.
The Carrier I found is non abs and the research I have done shows it 'will fit fine but I will need to use the carrier bearings that match the housing, not the carrier. This is due to the housing the carrier came from has a larger OD than my '75 housing. The carrier does have the same ID as my '75.
Thanks for the help. I am learning much about MOPAR every day.
Had plenty of bikes, Mustangs, and Euro sports but this is my first Classic MOPAR.

Have you considered asking an expert?
If it were me, i would phone Dr.Diff (Cass) in Poulson, Montana.
He has helped me and a lot of others on here with good solid advice and reasonably priced parts. Great guy to talk to, and fast shipping.
He is even a member on here that stops in time to time to give advice.
His user name is Dr.Diff.

Thanks for the info.
I called Dr. Diff and they 'believe it will fit'.
For $100 I will go get it this weekend. Yard even told me they would give me "store credit" if it doesn't fit.

For sure 2.45 diff housing will not accect any gear swap. Been there. Had to salvage one from local scrapyard off a 75 scamp with 2.76 gears. I bought a Auburn suregrip from Randy's ring & pinion and ordered 3.55 gears from ma mopar ( think now they are obsolete bummer). Hope this clears things up for ya.

-
Back