8 3/4 backing plates what to use?

-

kempkan

Reaction score
I just bought an a body housing today for $85 and didnt come with axles or backing plates. The guy i bought it off of said that i could actually use a late 80's dakota backing i just needed to drill the fifth hole. What backing plates will work? Should i put a drum set up on or disc? I dont want to drop money in a drum set up if disc wont be much more. What to do here?

I might take you up on the offer but i might try something first. I have an old w-150 sitting out back with an extra dana 44. Just like the guy described there are 4 out of the 5 holes that will line up perfect and the 5th hole is stamped just needs drilled out. I have all new brakes hardware and wheel cylinders already. I think i will see if this works i will let you know as soon as i try.

The DANA is possible to swap over. Not a 100% on it. The 9-1/4 backing plates and all work great on my 8-1/4 rear. I went from 10 - 11 inch drums. I've done a few of these backing plate swaps and that hole described is sometimes needed to be drilled to fit on. It's an easy to do tings and it will work. Just order brake parts for the donor vehicle and then check/cross ref. if those parts are the same for your car if so optioned.

i may have a full rear drum setup for sale soon if you are interested.

I just bought an a body housing today for $85 and didnt come with axles or backing plates. The guy i bought it off of said that i could actually use a late 80's dakota backing i just needed to drill the fifth hole. What backing plates will work? Should i put a drum set up on or disc? I dont want to drop money in a drum set up if disc wont be much more. What to do here?

what axles will you be using? stock A body 8-3/4 axles will require the specific A body 8-3/4 backing plate.
Aftermarket axles open up your options a lot.

Yep backing plates gotta match your brake shoe width.The 89 Dakotas came with 10x 2 1/2 with 5 holes,just had to cut off a tab at the bottom,guess it,s a adjuster protecter?

I was thinking of going with the yukons with green bearings i think. I dont want to dump a ton of money into it. I seen an ad on craigslist the other day for a body 3-way adjustable race shocks. The guy wanted $40 so i went to pick them up and for $40 bucks he gave me all 4 shocks a pinion snubber for the 8 3/4 billet u-joint caps and a dana 60 already narrowed all for $40. I just need axles for it. I want to build the dana right so basically just get the car on the road for now. Thats why im doing that set up cheap and reliable then get rid of it when im done with the other one. Oh the dana 44 from my truck is also 10x2 1/2 drums the backing plate went right on but i dont have the axles yet to see if everything fits. I will keep everyone in mind if this doesnt work i may be buying brakes too.

so are you asking about the brakes for an A body 8-3/4 or a narrowed DANA 60?

Best set is to buy a set of E body backing plates and the 10,5 inch drums and the hardware.Did this on the dart,and it stops on a dime and gives 11 cents change,spend the money on the right parts and really good quality and do it right,mrmopartech

ok.....if I'm going to put 4.5 aftermarket spindles in my 8 3/4 a body rear - can I use the a body backing plates with any 4.5 10" drums?

And I am thinking of going Strange axles...

Ok..to reiterate and simplify what's been said: A BODY AXLES HAVE TO HAVE A BODY BACKING PLATES!!! The stock a body axle had a different offset than other rears. Even if you redrill to BBP, you have to use A body backing plates and redrilled drums! Otherwise the drums will hit the backing plates.

If you use cut down B/C/E body axles or aftermarkets like Moser or Yukon, you use B/C/E body backing plates. Later truck drums would also fall into this category.

To make it easy, use the same drums/backing plates as the AXLES.!

Good Luck!

-
Back