8 3/4 Backing Plates

-

R72Demon

Reaction score
Were do you measure from on backing plates to know what size they are? I need to make sure I have the correct backing plates for A-body with 4" bolt pattern. Thanks.

Were do you measure from on backing plates to know what size they are? I need to make sure I have the correct backing plates for A-body with 4" bolt pattern. Thanks.
Lay the plate flat,and measure from the floor to center?I could be wrong?I,m pretty sure though.

Ok, thats kinda what I figured, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Ok, thats kinda what I figured, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks.
I do have good backing plates off of a 72 demon 8 3/4,for 10x1 3/4 brakes.This is how I found out when I got my Moser axels for 10x2 1/2 brakes.Duh!Let me know if you need plates?Cheap!

I'm with 700 on this one. Are you wanting to know the diameter for the drums? Bolt pattern will be irelevent. Clue us in. Thanks
Small Block

I was just trying to find out what backing plates I have, since there is 10x 1 3/4 and 10x 2 1/2 plates.

I was just trying to find out what backing plates I have, since there is 10x 1 3/4 and 10x 2 1/2 plates.

10" backing plates are 10"backing plates,1 3/4" and 2 1/2" are brake shoe width's.if i'm not wrong a-body rear sbp are 1 3/4" and new drums are still available,i just did mine a few weeks ago.

I just measured my 10" a-body backing plates, and my 10" 2.5" backing plates. Laying a straightedge across the mounting flange, on the side of the shoes, from the straightedge to the raised part the shoe rides on is about 1/2 an inch on the a-body backing plates. On the 2.5" backing plates, it measures an even inch. Coupled with the difference in the axles (if I remember correctly the big bolt pattern axles are about 3/8 longer on the flange side) thats where the difference in shoe width comes from. I can post pics later if anyone needs them, I have to take the kids to the circus now.

-
Back