8 3/4 gasket locations

-
When you installed the new seal, which way did you put it in, spring side should be inward toward the center.. Did you put some grease around the spring to help hold in place until you got it all together.

RTV may work for a bit, but at some point I bet you see gear lube in your brakes.

yep...installed spring side in...used oil on the rubber part so the axle would slip through without popping the spring off

yep...installed spring side in...used oil on the rubber part so the axle would slip through without popping the spring off

I'm guessing here, but one of two things, or both, may have happened when you put the axle in.

If you did not put grease on the inward side packed into the cavity the spring may have popped off. Secondly it's possible the splines nicked the rubber as it passed through, cutting it slightly and allowing it to leak.

I'm guessing here, but one of two things, or both, may have happened when you put the axle in.

If you did not put grease on the inward side packed into the cavity the spring may have popped off. Secondly it's possible the splines nicked the rubber as it passed through, cutting it slightly and allowing it to leak.

anything is possible at this point...axle has been in and out so many times I lost count

anything is possible at this point...axle has been in and out so many times I lost count

Well, I would get a new inner seal at this point, pack that puppy with some grease in the cavity to retain the spring and install it, get your gasket thing figured out and so you only need to slide that joker in once and be very slow and careful when you slide it in.

They say the seals aren't required with the green bearings, but I noticed Dr Diff recommends using them. He's the guru.

Use RTV. It will never leak and solves any argument.

if any one is still watching this thread...got it back together...here's what I did

new inner oil seal...packed the spring with bearing grease so it wouldn't fall off when tapping it in

placed new metal gasket napa fel-pro pn 55032 convex side against the housing...flat side against the backing plate

placed hidensity foam gasket from dr diff on drum side of backing plate...

ran big ol bead of rtv around the o-ring and slipped the axle back in

tightened it all down to 45ftlbs as per shop manual

hopefully this ends the saga of leaking green bearings!!!

will post a follow up after rtv cures and I take it for a spin

if any one is still watching this thread...got it back together...here's what I did

new inner oil seal...packed the spring with bearing grease so it wouldn't fall off when tapping it in

placed new metal gasket napa fel-pro pn 55032 convex side against the housing...flat side against the backing plate

placed hidensity foam gasket from dr diff on drum side of backing plate...

ran big ol bead of rtv around the o-ring and slipped the axle back in

tightened it all down to 45ftlbs as per shop manual

hopefully this ends the saga of leaking green bearings!!!

will post a follow up after rtv cures and I take it for a spin

I bet you cured it. The new inner seal should hold all of the lube where it belongs, as long as the rubber seals around the axle.

Just curious, was the spring still on the old seal.

I know your past this.

How I interpret the ’69 (3-15) instruction………

Axle housing flange
Paper
Backing plate
Foam
Axel bearing retainer
Nuts
No steel. Hmmm.

’70 (3-30) instruction is the same as '69.

’71 (3-32) instruction say’s…
Axle housing flange
New rubber coated steel gasket (is this the culprit?)
Backing plate
Foam
Axle bearing retainer
Nuts

I bet you cured it. The new inner seal should hold all of the lube where it belongs, as long as the rubber seals around the axle.

yep...it was still there...so I hope the rtv does the trick this time

I know your past this.

How I interpret the ’69 (3-15) instruction………

Axle housing flange
Paper
Backing plate
Foam
Axel bearing retainer
Nuts
No steel. Hmmm.

’70 (3-30) instruction is the same as '69.

’71 (3-32) instruction say’s…
Axle housing flange
New rubber coated steel gasket (is this the culprit?)
Backing plate
Foam
Axle bearing retainer
Nuts

dave,

I called dr diff today...he said metal gasket goes btwn housing and backing plate. and the one that comes with the green bearing kit (I thought it was paper, but he said it was hi-density foam) goes btwn backing plate and retainer...

hoping she wont leak when I take her for spin tmorrow

bruce,

now you got me wondering if napa has been selling me the correct seal...it fit nice and tight and 8 3/4 tube dia is bigger than 7 1/4...gonna try and cross ref the part#s just to be sure...

3 trips into town 20 plus miles later and she is dry as a bone...thanks to all who chimed in on this one.

now as replace the gear oil, should I also add the friction additive too...it got both when I replaced the chunk 5k miles back...assuming that if its not too low then just oil will be fine

bruce,

now you got me wondering if napa has been selling me the correct seal...it fit nice and tight and 8 3/4 tube dia is bigger than 7 1/4...gonna try and cross ref the part#s just to be sure...

If it fit tight, it should be correct. The 7 1/4 tube is quite a bit smaller.

now as replace the gear oil, should I also add the friction additive too...

Are you doing a complete change? If you are just topping it off it should be fine without the friction modifier.

Excellent on the "dry as a bone"

By the way Steve, you want some snow? I got about 14" last night, I can send you some. LMAO

just topping it off to replace what was lost in the leak...

no thanks on the snow...spent 4 yrs in upstate new York back in the 90s...got more than my fair share of lake effect snow

been livin in hot climates ever sense...moved to HI in 2012...not to rub it in, but on my deck now in shorts and t-shirt...75 and sunny

if its any consolation, I can hear my cars rust from living so close to the ocean and milk $5.25 a gallon on sale

you have helped more than once, so I am grateful when winter wx keeps you close to the computer8)

seriously though I'd be lost without good folks like you always willing to share your experience...don't really know what iam doing but learning every day

-
Back