8 3/4 housing paint or powder coat

-

Bentwrenches

Reaction score
Getting ready to finish up my 8 3/4 rebuild. What is everyone doing as far as putting a finish on their housings? Paint? Powder coating? POR 15?
Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Depends on what your finished product is for.
Show car, 1 & done for longevity, hot rod.
For most of what I do, it will be a rattle can semi gloss black. If I was doing a show car, not resto, power coat. Which would be wrong for a resto.

Depends on what your finished product is for.
Show car, 1 & done for longevity, hot rod.
For most of what I do, it will be a rattle can semi gloss black. If I was doing a show car, not resto, power coat. Which would be wrong for a resto.

Thank you rumblefish360 for bringing up a good point. This would be for a weekend driver...

Getting ready to finish up my 8 3/4 rebuild. What is everyone doing as far as putting a finish on their housings? Paint? Powder coating? POR 15?
Any input would be greatly appreciated...

For something in between the classic DIY rattle can job and professionally done powder coat, you might consider 2K primer and topcoat for greater durability than ordinary paint. You can even buy it in aerosol cans if you don't want to try your hand with a gun.

Powdercoat. Brake fluid doesn’t bother it and I’ve had a lot one my old one and it never peeled or discolored.

Before & After. It's powder coated.

20160413_194930.jpg

20160503_183706.jpg

I just recently refurbed 3 A body 8 3/4 rears I had sitting here. They were blasted, 2K epoxy primer, then 2K hot rod black.

20180501_133716.jpg

20180427_185039.jpg

The rear brakes are from Doctor Diff. Total cost? By the time you do a center section. And every thing else? $1400. And thats me doing the assembly myself. Labor of love to do it this clean.

20160512_210959.jpg

20160503_192744.jpeg

The rear brakes are from Doctor Diff.

Which axles are you using with that rear disc kit from Dr. Diff? Are they re-drilled A-Body 8.75 for the 1.75" brakes? Or ones for use with 2.5" brakes?​
I'm wondering about wheel re-location and clearance in the wheelhouse. As you know, without surgery, there's not a lot of room for messing around.​
Thanks​

Please don't redrill old axles for the larger bolt pattern.

Please don't redrill old axles for the larger bolt pattern.

Moser sells brand new A-Body 4.5" BP axles they refer to as re-drilled, probably to differentiate the position of the shoulder in the two types.

They are rear disks from Doctor Diff. They fit a factory A body 8.75 housing & Axles

VHT epoxy chassis like rumble suggests is fine. A friend did his in bbq high heat paint worked well. Prep is the key.

-
Back