8 3/4 Issues

-

Burista

Reaction score
I purchased a complete sure grip 3rd member, 741 case, it had a set of 3.23s in it so I decided to take it apart and put 3.55s in it instead, this was my first time ever doing anything with a rear-end so it took me some time, once it was reassembled the lash was somewhat questionable but I decided to put it in and try it, long story short, its in the car now and the rear end whine is terrible, pretty sure my lash is off and that's what causing the noise but just want to get some other opinions before I decide to take it all apart again.
Thanks!

It's not only backlash you have to be concerned with but the gear mesh pattern also. Plus the pinion preload has to be set. If you have never done it, it is a bit much to jump into.

It's not only backlash you have to be concerned with but the gear mesh pattern also. Plus the pinion preload has to be set. If you have never done it, it is a bit much to jump into.
Thanks, I bought the car 3 years ago when I was 16 and the project didn't really get rolling until quarantine happened, so basically, everything I've done has been my first time doing it and these past months have been filled with trial and error, I'm torn right now between tearing it down again trying again or just taking it to a local driveline shop and making sure it's done correctly.

Thanks, I bought the car 3 years ago when I was 16 and the project didn't really get rolling until quarantine happened, so basically, everything I've done has been my first time doing it and these past months have been filled with trial and error, I'm torn right now between tearing it down again trying again or just taking it to a local driveline shop and making sure it's done correctly.
If you don't have the tools (pinion depth/dial indicator), just have a shop do it. Guy did my Dana 44 for 65 bucks. Money well spent.

If you don't have the tools (pinion depth/dial indicator), just have a shop do it. Guy did my Dana 44 for 65 bucks. Money well spent.
$65 ! That's crackhead prices..... what exactly did he do for $65? No way that was a start to finish job!

Don't mean to hijack posters question but related to gear mesh pattern.

Can't really see a pattern(oval toward center of tooth, both sides) Ebay
s-l1600.jpg

I've set up a few, not hard to do, but you do need the right tools, dial indicator , beam torque wrench, marking compound.

$65 ! That's crackhead prices..... what exactly did he do for $65? No way that was a start to finish job!
i handed him the parts. He just put it together. He gave me a deal since he made me wait a couple weeks (and I send business his way). I was in no hurry.

Asfaras the distance of the ring from the pinion, if it whines when you give it gas, it's too close. If it whines when you let off; it's too far away.

Hi there. Glad to see you jump it to do it yourself. If you don’t try it you’ll never buy the tools. First and best tool you will need is a FACTORY service manual. If you’re working on a mix bag of parts get a 69 manual it’s a good start. It’ll get you most info and if your application is not exact you can just look it up or ask. Next get a dial indicator with a magnetic base. Most people or even mechanics don’t know this but when the pinion is out look on the machined surface and you’ll see a number stamped on them. This is the number from baseline. Add or subtract as required and change the pinion shim to match. Assemble and set your ring gear clearance with that dial indicator. PS if that pinion uses a crush sleeve get a new one if you can if not hammer it out some so the pinion bearing has the correct pre-load. When you tighten the pinion nut do not loosen to loosen the pre-load if it has a crush sleeve. Good luck.

-
Back