8 3/4 rear end.

-

vallianted

Reaction score
hey all.looking at a rear end for sale from a 62 dart for my 65 valliant.it's described as a tapered axle style.what does that mean?
Ted

It means the axle end is tapered and keyed to accept the rear hub. It's not a single piece like in later years.

20230422_121335.jpg

1962 Dart, is a B-body, a couple inches wider rearend than your Valiant.
If I had a 62 dart with a tapered rearend, I'd get rid of it too.
Edit: the tapered rear, NOT the 62!

Last edited:
while back i seen a chart that showed rear end widths, the 62 to 63 8 3/4 housing for the b body, is same width as the a body housing, i have one, and measured it, the measure the same, width, the a body axles will bolt up easily, i moved the spring pads in 1/2 inch per side to fit a body springs. i use the a body 10 " by 1 3/4 brakes

while back i seen a chart that showed rear end widths, the 62 to 63 8 3/4 housing for the b body, is same width as the a body housing, i have one, and measured it, the measure the same, width, the a body axles will bolt up easily, i moved the spring pads in 1/2 inch per side to fit a body springs. i use the a body 10 " by 1 3/4 brakes
The chart i believe (a stickie in the drivetrain forum here) says the 62/63 b-body 8 3/4 is almost 1 1/2 wider than an A-body 8 3/4, and almost two inches wider than an a-body 7 1/4. (Drum face to drum face). And of course the spring pads are in a different location.

The chart i believe (a stickie in the drivetrain forum here) says the 62/63 b-body 8 3/4 is almost 1 1/2 wider than an A-body 8 3/4, and almost two inches wider than an a-body 7 1/4. (Drum face to drum face). And of course the spring pads are in a different location.
I put a Road Runner 8 3/4 rear end in my Dad's 62 Dodge. Bolted right in.

BTW, in 62, Polara and Dart used the same body and 116 inch wheelbase chassis, as did the 62 Belvedere and Fury. They are all basically B bodies (although the rear springs are interchangeable with A bodies).

A 62 Dodge rear axle will not readily fit a 65 Valiant.

I'm p4etty sure my 62 savoy has a 65 housing in it. Could be a 66/67 too, I haven't bothered to measure. I just know what backspace works on my car. Doesn't mean that what works on mine works on anybody elses.

I'm p4etty sure my 62 savoy has a 65 housing in it. Could be a 66/67 too, I haven't bothered to measure. I just know what backspace works on my car. Doesn't mean that what works on mine works on anybody elses.
I had a 65 Coronet that was original and unmolested, but it was sans engine and transmission. It had the original 8 3/4 tapered axle rear under it. 64 was "supposedly" the last year for it, but I have also seen others.

-
Back