8 3/4 swapped in but....thrust button?

-
That’s what I’m saying. Pull the other axle out to be sure. If u still see the block in there u can adjust it. If it’s a wide open hole that u can see right thru then there is no block so u can’t adjust it against another axle. It may be ok for a drag car but not on the street. Post a pic with both axles out. Kim

Well Ill be....there IS something in the middle. Should have listened to @318willrun and pulled both axles in the first place! Sorry about that. Here is pic from passenger side with both axles removed.
20211201_082432.jpg
Either way I have green bearings on the way. I can always use them on another diff.

Well Ill be....there IS something in the middle. Should have listened to @318willrun and pulled both axles in the first place! Sorry about that. Here is pic from passenger side with both axles removed. View attachment 1715829102Either way I have green bearings on the way. I can always use them on another diff.
What you saw was an axle imprint on the button :) That can be very deceiving.

So, Im slappin axles back in and adjusting away?!! Tighten down to feel 7 in/lbs of drag on both sides?

So, Im slappin axles back in and adjusting away?!! Tighten down to feel 7 in/lbs of drag on both sides?
I think it's .008-.012 end play on the axles (somebody will say if I'm wrong). You can measure with a magnet dial indicator. Honestly, I haven't measured one since my 20's, I just always went by feel (it's why I say "I think" LOL). Pull the axle in and out, you'll hear the "clunk" of end play, but the movement should almost be unnoticeable to feel or see. If in doubt, use a cheap indicator

Thanks! We couldve gotten there 1 page ago if I had followed instruction better. Ha!
#thickskulled

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes! Is it the barracuda in your photo garage, and do you have any current pictures?

Just took these. It looks messy, but its getting there. still need to wet sand and......well everything else. But I did get it started! It stinks big time and is way too loud. Im hoping to drive by spring.
20211201_090255.jpg
20211201_090148.jpg
20211201_090158.jpg
20211201_090127.jpg
20211201_090101.jpg
enjoy!

Well Ill be....there IS something in the middle. Should have listened to @318willrun and pulled both axles in the first place! Sorry about that. Here is pic from passenger side with both axles removed. View attachment 1715829102Either way I have green bearings on the way. I can always use them on another diff.
Looks like u better change the seals as well. Kim

Make sure when you install the axles you give them a wrap with a hammer to make sure they are seated. Agin when your done adjusting to make sure the end play doesn’t change.

-
Back